• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

YouTube Cubers Are Dead

camcuber

WCA
2008BROW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have been getting a lot of messages lately having people applaud me for still being one of the few (if any) cubers making videos. I know that there are so many cubers in general making videos but I think that they are referring to my "generation" of cubers such as Pestvic, Monkeydude1313, MeMyselfandPi, thewestonian, etc. I'm just curious as to what you guys think? I am also kind of running out of ideas for videos because whenever I solve it is usually spontaneous and quick so I don't want to mount my tripod and get out the camera haha

1996iscool

I totally agree with this. I was just talking to someone about this (FireFoxFreeze). All of the 5AC cubers kind have abandoned the cubing community. I say whatever video you make, just don't leave us hanging :)

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
youtube cubers, though introducing people into the cubing world, hold those new cubers back to think in their own little bubble. They cloister themselves in the ideas that are instilled upon youtube cubers and don't broaden their ideas on cubing making them very mediocre. So, to me, less Youtube cubers may mean less people going into the cubing community, but at least they will have a better view on cubing.

camcuber

WCA
2008BROW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
youtube cubers, though introducing people into the cubing world, hold those new cubers back to think in their own little bubble. They cloister themselves in the ideas that are instilled upon youtube cubers and don't broaden their ideas on cubing making them very mediocre. So, to me, less Youtube cubers may mean less people going into the cubing community, but at least they will have a better view on cubing.

:')

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it's just that all of the videos have been made that could reasonably be made. There are already way too many tutorials on a variety of subjects, and stupid stunt solves are kind of desperate. Unfortunately in the race to make new videos and become popular, content quality was overlooked and you end up with things like Thrawst's square-1 tutorial or monkeydude's ortega tutorial. The blind leading the blind, if you will. Not to mention the endless stream of poorly made tutorials that never got that kind of exposure. Hopefully people will go back to searching for material in reliable places, or figuring it out for themselves. Don't take this as an attack on popular youtube cubers though- every one I have met has generally been a nice and likable person, I just disagree with a lot of the videos they make.

yamahammer08

YouTube
Visit Channel
I read the title right after hearing about the tornadoes in Alabama and thought you meant some were actually dead...
But anyway, I was just noticing this earlier. I was watching some earlier (mainly monkeydude) and I go to look for some of his more recent vids, and there are none! I wish there were more, not many good cubing vids coming out recently...

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
block building is something you learn on your own. You can't teach block building. You can show examples that people will follow literally and complain that it's slow and doesn't work. It's just something that you need to acquire from experience.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Please. There isn't anything substantial out there about blockbuilding or multi-slotting, and that's just CFOP.

Of course, but it's unreasonable to expect people who don't know blockbuilding or multislotting to make those videos. I was saying that youtube cubers, more specifically the ones mentioned in Cameron's OP, have basically exhausted their video-making knowledge base.

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
block building is something you learn on your own. You can't teach block building. You can show examples that people will follow literally and complain that it's slow and doesn't work. It's just something that you need to acquire from experience.

That's nonsense...Weston took at a stab at it and I genuinely learned a few things. It's true that a lot of this stuff you can learn on your own, and perhaps should, but not everyone learns the same way and the occasional nudge or hint is welcome. I imagine that many people said the same thing about CFOP cross--that you can't teach it, and yet badmephisto DID. It isn't for lack of great cubers...it is for lack of competent teachers.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
YouTube cubers have died for now. There could, however, be a breakthrough in YouTube cubers. I'm personally planning on making cube videos when summer rolls around, but people hate my videos. Also, my tutorials suck. xP

Whatever, third time's the charm!

Tall5001

Premium Member
WCA
2011METZ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
See my channel on youtube is REVIEW! When new cubes come out i usually make reviews of the new cubes i get. For example my new Lunhui Review that you can see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_fq6aAZl4U. I mean this is what i make for videos and it helps people see hwo the newest cubes preform and work. And how exactly to make them the best they can be. I know lots of people like my videos and i have a pretty good fan base. Reaching 300 and thats just from putting my self out there and making honest opinioned reviews of cubes i own. I dont knwo what your guys feel on this type of videos are but thats what i do and people tend to like it.

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've see too many newer cubers being too reliant on videos from popular YouTube cubers, and that's bad. There are plenty of sources out there, and I'm not referring to older cubing sites either. You need to be able to learn and improve on your own, but even without the popular YouTube cubers you aren't alone.
That said, badmephisto has many videos with advice that is still very relevant today: go watch them.

Also, Weston makes vidz liek errday.