• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Worldwide Solving Average

Solvador Cubi

What ideas have people had for how to determine (or estimate) the average 3x3 solve time for all active solvers in the world?
I would guess competition times and users of this forum may skew the times to look faster than a worldwide average.
I'm curious about everyone... from speedsolvers to beginners.

Would online timers be a good estimate? Do they keep that data?
What about mobile apps, do any aggregate average time data? or keep average battle times across all users?
and obviously there are solvers who don't use web-timers or even time themselves for that matter!

or... everyone can just throw out a guess and we'll take the mean of those! :)
(I'll say 52.4 seconds)

-= Solvador Cubi

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think a difficult thing to define would be what is meant by "all active solvers in the world". How you define the meaning of that would probably have a big impact on the overall average. (Not that we're likely to be able to come up with a good average even if we did have a good definition of the meaning of that, but I do think that the meaning you ascribe to it would have a big impact on the actual average, if it were somehow able to be determined.)

If you include anyone who is capable of solving the cube now (even if they haven't done so in several years), the average will be slower than if you only include people who have solved a cube in the past year, and even slower than if you only include people who have solved a cube in the past week, for instance.

Solvador Cubi

Mike Hughey, that's a good discussion point.

Perhaps we would look at it from the cubes point of view, instead.... :)
"What is the average time of all the occurrences that a cube has been solved in history?"

such as if someone was a 30s solver from years 2010-2015, but hasn't touched it since then, that counts!

I realize this is such an open-ended topic and we'll never get a true global average time,
but what can we get ... and is it interesting to know?

-= Solvador Cubi