• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

World Championship 2015 - São Paulo, Brazil - July 17-19, 2015

whauk

WCA
2008KARL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Concerning Supersolve:
All I know is that I won all three rounds with best times of 3.59, 3.30 and 3.70 respectively. Top 3 in the end were Me, Alexander Lin (iirc), Jael Riggenbach. I'm pretty sure nobody else got even sub-4.4 though.

What was your approach? Speedsolving solution? Optimal? What were the approaches of other fast people?

Pedro

WCA
2007GUIM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Did you know

• Brazil is a blast?
  • Our hearts were entertained in July?
I'm glad you liked it :)
  • The venue had a big cube table in the center for the competitors to place their puzzles?
  • The cube table actually had a solvable cube state?
  • Daniel and I raced to match the scramble, but the (hidden) bottom layer was actually quite tricky?
Of course it was solvable! It took like 6-7 people and some minutes of thinking and trying, but we did it.
  • There were 75 people on staff?
  • A lot of the staff were awesome South American cubers at their first Worlds?
In the end there were even more people, and they did an amazing job.
  • Pedro is the calmest, coolest guy in person?
  • I've known Pedro online for years, but this was my first time meeting him?
For some reason I thought we already met before. Must be my brain going nuts with all the stuff.
  • Most of the places near the venue didn't speak English, but everyone still had lots of fun?
  • There was a place called "Esfiha Chic" that had a great open atmosphere?
  • We ordered by pointing at the menu, and hoped for the best?
  • They came with full pizzas, and moved slices to our plate one at a time... by using forks to clamp the slice as if they were large chopsticks?
How do they move pizzas to plate at other places? I only ever saw this way...haha
  • 3x3x3 first round was scheduled for 2.5 hours?
  • The audience was so crowded that Pedro actually had to *pause the entire competition* to get them to disperse?
Better be safe with scheduling, right?

It had to be stopped because people were crowding the area which cubers had to use to deliver their cubes. That's what you get from putting Feliks in the 1st group :p
  • For dinner on Saturday night, Jeremy convinced me to come along to a place with "meat on sticks"?
  • Tim Reynolds, Vandenbergh Lars, Jeremy Fleischman, and I found something that didn't quite appear to the right place, but were going to eat there anyhow, until we found out they weren't serving dinner anymore?
  • We just barely found the right place (down the street from where the map said), and it turned out to be a delicious Brazilian steakhouse?
  • Our waiter took my and Lars' backpacks, put them each on a chair and covered them with white cloths, and we still don't know why?
I have no idea why they did that...lol
  • There was a gathering of delegates on Saturday night, and many of them have done amazing things in their country?
That meeting was very cool indeed.
  • The shipment of dragon eggs was intercepted by Brazilian customs?
  • People still bought and practiced on the eggs and got sub-3 solves?
The eggs sold there were 1-layer ones. Those who were intercepted were 2-layer eggs, which are more difficult, from what I heard. And yeah, customs here is very stupid :p
  • I got to scramble for the 5x5x5, 2x2x2, and 4x4x4 finals?
  • Despite being in charge of the whole stage, Pedro still insisted on sitting at the scrambling table, and still scrambled lots of cubes himself?
  • We had a score checker for 2x2x2 finals?
  • There was a crazy (but controlled) period where I think we scrambled, checked, and sent out about 10 cubes in 60 seconds?
I scrambled because I'm decently fast and accurate, and we were falling behind...

That 2x2 scrambling was crazy! Should have taped it.
  • Many of the last few finals (including the 3x3x3 final) were actually held in the side stage?
Side stage had better seats, like you said.
  • Running different finals upstairs and downstairs at the same time is a bad idea, because the fast competitors (*cough* Feliks, *cough* Kevin, *cough* Rob) are in all of them?
It could work, with very precise execution. But I probably won't schedule something like that again.
  • Auditorium seating is terrible for mingling, but great for a large 3x3x3 final?
  • Feliks had a +2 in the final?
  • The auditorium was packed, and the atmosphere was incredible?
It was soooo quiet during solves, and then people would just go crazy and clap.
  • I asked Pedro to sit at the finalist's table for a camera test, and the crowd started chanting "Pedro! Pedro! Pedro!"?
  • I had to catch a taxi instead of the awards ceremony, but it took 15 minutes to arrive and we spent 20 minutes figuring out if I could pay?
  • However, the taxi ride was twice as fast as expected, and I made my flight?
15 mins to GRU airport? That's not possible, unless you were going at 75 mph. It's almost 30km away: https://www.google.com.br/maps/dir/...71626c51a7154a!2m2!1d-46.478126!2d-23.4345529

Maybe you went to CGH aiport instead?
  • The South American speedcubing community is very friendly and fun?
  • Pedro, Rafael, and everyone else did a wonderful job organizing this competition?
  • The side stage was a bit behind at times, but most of the competition ran ship-shape?
  • This was the right time for Brazil to host Worlds?

Very glad people enjoyed the competition. I'm happy and sad that it's over so fast, after so much preparation.

Ronxu

WCA
2010RONK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
All I know is that I won all three rounds with best times of 3.59, 3.30 and 3.70 respectively. Top 3 in the end were Me, Alexander Lin (iirc), Jael Riggenbach. I'm pretty sure nobody else got even sub-4.4 though.

You got the T3 right. I missed podium by .01 :(

Concerning Supersolve:

What was your approach? Speedsolving solution? Optimal? What were the approaches of other fast people?

I'm guessing pretty much everyone just did the scramble backwards with some rotation(s).

isra21

WCA
2012silv22
hey guys, did someone found a 4x4 moyu aosu in the WC? The staff didn't found
it's restickered, the sticker brand is Supersede(bright)
thank you and sorry for any english mistake, i'm learning.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

alexanderglin

WCA
2007LING01
Concerning Supersolve:

Hey there, I came second in supersolve and I used an optimal solution found via Kociemba's Cube Explorer.

Supersolve scramble (white top, green front): D' R D2 R' F L2 F2 U2 F2 U L' U2 F' R2 D2 B R2 B

I tried the pure inverse scramble at first, and it's really quite fast. I then ran the two-phase solver and it gave an 18 HTM solution, breaking even with the scramble. With a rotation (so that red's on top, yellow front):

(M' U') (R' D B') (L U' B U' D2) (F' R2 U') (M' R' U' R)

This became the solution I used. In practice I've gotten sub 2.8 solves only when the Rubik's brand speedcube didn't lock up, haha. I can see some fast cubers easily get sub 2.5 with this. In the three rounds of supersolve my best was only a 3.96, sadly.

In performing the inverse scramble with a rotation (starting white on top, red front), I tried:

l' U2 R' F2 U2 r D2 F D' r2 U2 r2 F2 r' d' R2 U' R

which is pretty nice as well. Also, congrats to Antoine for winning!

Lastly, big shoutout to the competition staff, organizers, and everyone else I had the pleasure of meeting at WC2015. Sao Paulo was amazing, to say the least