• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Winter Variation Resources

cubacca1972

You can see my original post (Message #14346) on the method on the yahoo speedsolving site.

I had no idea that anyone else had reposted the method!

cubacca1972

I created the Winter Variation as an alternative method to finish the last layer when solving using the Petrus Method.

Here's an excerpt from a PM to ostracod where I explained my rationale:

I made the system up after looking at the various expansions on Fridrich's last layer method, where the idea is to do stuff to the last layer as the last corner-edge pair is solved. Most of what I saw added a severe number of algorithms to an already complex system.

Lars Petrus already has a method which gets stuff done on the last layer once the first 2 layers are done--the edges are oriented. That being said, it still requires 3 steps to finish the last layer (permute corners, twist corners, permute edges), or 2 steps if you combine the corner steps.

So I came up with my variation to see if I could blend the advantages of Petrus with the ideas being explored by the Fridrich method expansions as described above.

Because the edges are already taken care of in the twist the edges portion of a petrus solve, and because of restricting moves to the U and R layers, the number of cases that you need to know is reduced. This is also why the FR corner edge pair needs to be solved last, and why it needs to be assembled and parked. There would be way too many algorithms and patterns to learn if the corner edge pair wasn't assembled, or if either the FR or BR CE pair was the last to be inserted.

chimpzi

wow..so its you that created this variation. very nice idea man.
thanks and hopefully i could apply this variation in my solves before this year ends. i still have more to learn.

cubacca1972

wow..so its you that created this variation. very nice idea man.
thanks and hopefully i could apply this variation in my solves before this year ends. i still have more to learn.

Thanks. I get my cube kicks by creating/modifying systems. It would please me if this particular idea really takes off, and someone achieves world class results with it.

Best of luck with it.

ostracod

I'm still using this system myself... After a lot of practice, I've acquired very fast recognition skills for WV cases. :D

When I become sub-30 some time (I am sub-40 currently), I hope to participate in a competition and use WV in it. And I've been WANTING to learn EJF2L, but there are so many algorithms, and I'd need to devote a long span of time to memorize them. Perhaps this summer.

...Dougbenham, if you search YouTube for "ZZ method variations", you'll see my video that has some explanation of WV.

Tiw

[Help Thread] Winter Variation discussion

Is there a system based on F2LL known, I mean an really efficient system for Fridrich!
I ask, because I like the F2LL :cool:

Tiw

Just orient them doesn't reach! You need a builded pair!
Doing it seperatly, takes too much moves.

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
F2LL just orients the corners as your placing the last pair in so its only really helpful if your using a method that has the edges oriented as your finishing f2l already such as petrus or zz

Edit: not roux what was i thinking...

Last edited: