• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Why You Should Use Lefty M!

CrispyCubing

WCA
2019YODE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it’s worth it to occasionally throw in a lefty M/M’ in an SB case but I’ll probably still use righty LSE.. Also for that last case you can do a sneaky <rRU> gen sune algo. r U r’ U r U2 R’

Also, @u Cube I like the short tips/tricks videos! Good to have a mix of style.

u Cube

YouTube
Visit Channel
I feel like more people should also double flick their M moves, I don't see enough people doing it.
Lol I don't double flick (at least for now) I've never bothered to do it because doing a double M' is fast enough it just doesn't justify the gripshift in my opinion. Also I rarely use M2s in my solve, LR edges is pretty much the extent of it. Here soon I may try using M2 flicks again though since there are some very real counter-points.

Nice channel, subbed. I hope you can make your videos with better lighting and less... blue.
I always used left hand M moves because my left hand was naturally closer to the bottom of the cube.
Thanks! I'll definitely work on my lighting, I've been filming at dark recently since school has started up again. Eventually I'll probably invest in a new lighting set up but for now I'll try to film during the day or do some color correction.

I think it’s worth it to occasionally throw in a lefty M/M’ in an SB case but I’ll probably still use righty LSE.. Also for that last case you can do a sneaky <rRU> gen sune algo. r U r’ U r U2 R’

Also, @u Cube I like the short tips/tricks videos! Good to have a mix of style.
For LSE I think you could get away with doing righty since it's just MU gen, for the sune alg I still prefer the <RUM> alg but it's really up to personal preference.
Also thanks! I hope to continue making these so I don't go weeks without uploading (like i did last year lol) but still make some longer videos maybe once a week.

Gnome

WCA
2011CARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I feel like more people should also double flick their M moves, I don't see enough people doing it.

I honestly don't think I've seen one person in ten years not double flick an M2' .. *maybe* if they're doing blind? *maybe*

I am left handed in real life so I use righty M and nobody can convince me otherwise

+1 to this, also a lefty (although cross dominant)

Generally though, I think everyone should be able to double flick any side, or slice, with either hand.

Gnome

WCA
2011CARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
does that mean you are right eye dominant? I am right hand left eye.

It means my dominant side and the one I have historically used the most differ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-dominance

In my case I was born a lefty but due to my Dyspraxia (a neurological development condition) I was taught to carry out most day to day activities with my right hand, for simplicity. Over the last year or so however, mostly due to the pandemic granting me more time etc, I have transitioned back to using my left for most activities.

So you could say I'm ambidextrous, I write nearly as badly with both hands and don't favour either arm, but personally I identify as a lefty.

Last edited:

DNF_Cuber

It means my dominant side and the one I have historically used the most differ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-dominance

In my case I was born a lefty but due to my Dyspraxia (a neurological development condition) I was taught to carry out most day to day activities with my right hand, for simplicity. Over the last year or so however, mostly due to the pandemic granting me more time etc, I have transitioned back to using my left for most activities.

So you could say I'm ambidextrous, I write nearly as badly with both hands and don't favour either arm, but personally I identify as a lefty.
oh, When I was learning archery I had some trouble cause I was left eye and right hand.

PetraPine

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think what side M moves you do matters much if at all for CFOP, or ZZ
but for some petrus algs for example M' U MR U R' (you do M and R simutaneosly)
lefty is objectively better.
and for roux it is obviously better, as during second block not having to regrip your main hand during M slice turns, OR do a regrip before transitioning into LSE.