• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Why is clock an event?

Christmas

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not trying to start a flame war or whatever, I'm just wondering if there's a story behind it since clock isn't even a cube, y'know?
Just seems random imo, thanks in advance ^^

DTCuber

That's a good question. The Rubik's Clock does have wheels on the side that twist, so it is technically a twisty puzzle.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, it's because it's made by Rubik's. That's the same reason Magic was an event; I think they also considered the Rubik's UFO, but nobody liked solving it. And then Clock wasn't removed when the Magics were because Clock is actually a puzzle that can be scrambled and properly speedsolved. I'm not sure why Snake isn't an event though.

PS: Rubik's 360 and the 2x2x4 did not exist at the time the decision was made.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Back in the day (before 2007), there wasn't an official list of events, and the line between official and unofficial events was blurrier.
Cubers knew about clock (presumably because it was made by Rubik's, and could be speedsolved), so they held it at competitions. I wasn't there, so I don't know if this was an obvios choice, or more of a historical accident like feet. But since then, it's stayed.

More fun:
https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/history/files/regulations_history2008.html said:
Art. 9a/d, added 3x3x3 Cube Multiple Blindfolded as an official event.
Art. 9a/d, removed Siamese Cube, Rainbow Cube from the events. Not enough interest from the community for these events. For future versions we have to come to a method of deciding which events should be official.
Art. 9e, other events may be held during a competition, but will be unofficial and therefore not part of the official results of the competition.

Perhaps people from 2003 know more of the story.

megaminxwin

Current Clock NR Holder
WCA
2010MACA01
Back in the day (before 2007), there wasn't an official list of events, and the line between official and unofficial events was blurrier.
Cubers knew about clock (presumably because it was made by Rubik's, and could be speedsolved), so they held it at competitions. I wasn't there, so I don't know if this was an obvios choice, or more of a historical accident like feet. But since then, it's stayed.

More fun:

Perhaps people from 2003 know more of the story.

And then they didn't put SpeedBLD in, and you were sad, yes?