• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Why do organizing teams seem to neglect Arkansas for comps?

C

Cubinwitdapizza

So I’ve really been wanting to go to a competition, but there are none any where near me. I live in the northwest area of Arkansas and there have been no comps since summer of last year. If any WCA delegates see this, can they tell me if the WCA just doesn’t really pay attention to Arkansas?

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I’ve really been wanting to go to a competition, but there are none any where near me. I live in the northwest area of Arkansas and there have been no comps since summer of last year. If any WCA delegates see this, can they tell me if the WCA just doesn’t really pay attention to Arkansas?
Competitions lacking in your area? Organize one yourself!

U

Underwatercuber

My mom would have to help me because I’m younger and she doesn’t want me doing it so ya.
That would be fine, Delegates are usually very willing to co-organize and show you the ropes if it’s your first time organizing

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Sup! I’m in south arkansas

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
My mom would have to help me because I’m younger and she doesn’t want me doing it so ya.
@Underwatercuber is correct and delegates are great for helping first time organizers out, but the other thing you can do as well (especially if your mother is not to familiar with organizing a competition), and she/you want to find someone that is, is to find a cuber that has hosted a competition, and is willing to co-organize a competition with you. He/she will be able to walk you through the process and then the next time you can do it on your own.

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
Age isn't a barrier. Get your mom to help or find another adult who will. It's not that hard and the delegate will walk you through most of the process. Hardest part is finding a venue.
Some places to think about when starting to find venue space:

Your school (gym or cafeteria)
Local college (gym, cafeteria, or other space)
Church/place of worship if you are religious or know someone else who is
Library
If you are a scout (Scouts BSA, Girl Scouts or other youth organizations are usually connected to a place, like a church or a school that you may not even go to)

This list was created with the idea that you are somewhat young. Also, I am 14 years old, and I am organizing a competition with the help of another person, so I wouldn’t worry too much about age. You seem like you can make reasonable decisions, so I would contact someone who has already organized once or twice at least and have them help you. It can be a daunting experience, but a fun one.

A quick word on venue pricing: 500 hundred dollars sounds like a lot, and it is, but usually that is doable. You can probably go as high as $1200 for the venue depending on how many people sign up, and how big the community is in Arkansas.

Hope this helps!