• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Why are there not organized teams like Esports teams for cubing?

• Thread starter Cubinwitdapizza
  • Start date
C

Cubinwitdapizza

This is a thing I’ve kinda been expecting to see but hasn’t been here. Since RedBull has been associating with the WCA which kinda makes me think, that organized teams should be coming soon. What are you guys opinions on this? Do you think this should become a thing?

Mischiiii

I think this will happen if cubing grows big enough. But currently it’s not popular enough to form big teams with sponsors other than cube manufacturers and shops.
Esports grows faster than any other sport if I’m correct. So cubing has a long way ahead.
At least thats what i think about this :)

C

Cubinwitdapizza

I think this will happen if cubing grows big enough. But currently it’s not popular enough to form big teams with sponsors other than cube manufacturers and shops.
Esports grows faster than any other sport if I’m correct. So cubing has a long way ahead.
At least thats what i think about this :)
Ya I also agree. In Esports, there are tons of different types of games, which can attract more people to join or come to watch. As of cubing, there are different events, but it’s solving a Rubiks cube, which is not near as attracting as Esports.

Mischiiii

Ya I also agree. In Esports, there are tons of different types of games, which can attract more people to join or come to watch. As of cubing, there are different events, but it’s solving a Rubiks cube, which is not near as attracting as Esports.

yep just compare how many people are playing games competitively as a hobby and how many people cube. I don’t know anyone else besides me that cubes (at least in “Real life”). But i sure know a lot of gamers :D.
I wish it was different :D.

Apolo

I mean, teams exists because of sponsors and the brands wants to be seen but almost no comp is livestreamed and it's really hard for someone not into cubing to watch a comp.
If we start to stream the comps with slowdowns and commentary like what Red Bull did, cubing could grow bigger

C

Cubinwitdapizza

Look at the manufacturer and cube store sponsorships, this is already happening.
That’s true but that’s for the comps themself and if it’s for people then that’s not really the same as there are really only about 4 or 3 different sponsors.

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
That’s true but that’s for the comps themself and if it’s for people then that’s not really the same as there are really only about 4 or 3 different sponsors.
I don’t think of cubing as that kind of a community (where there are like fantasy teams and stuff). I just don’t. Other people may, but I can’t really see it working.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don’t think of cubing as that kind of a community (where there are like fantasy teams and stuff). I just don’t. Other people may, but I can’t really see it working.
I agree.
I don't want cubing to become like Esports in the sense that it becomes super competitive and is not fun anymore.
It would be great if cubing grew as large as Esports, or even major comps were televised, but I don't see that happening in the near future.
I believe comps are about having fun and socializing, not beating other people. If comps get to the point where they aren't fun, what's the point?

That's just my opinion though ;)

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Numerous retailers sponsor individual cubers, and it's definitely more than 3-4. Manufacturer sponsors alone are four sponsors (Gan, QiYi/MoFangGe, MoYu, YuXin), and in the US there are 3 retailers that provide sponsorships, plus numerous ones nationwide. Numbers aside, it's pointless to compare e-sports to cubing based on that alone, they're much bigger than cubing is.