• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Which 4x4x4 OLL parity alg do you use?

Which 4x4x4 OLL Parity Algorithm do you use?

• Total voters

puzzlemaster

WCA
2008LAUD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The OLL parity algorithms up there fix DP right?
No. This is an example of a double-parity algorithm (I pulled this from Blah's thread).

This is another form of double-parity which you probably haven't seen before. (It's one of my PLL parity 2-corner swap algorithms with all slice turns converted to wide).

Ah I see. How do you recognize whether you have double parity though? Instead of completing OLL parity and then realizing that you have PLL parity as well, is there a way to look and see that you have both?

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't look ahead that much (I just do a double-parity algorithm if it is obvious that the cube contains it). I bet someone will be able to help you, though.

puzzlemaster

WCA
2008LAUD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't look ahead that much (I just do a double-parity algorithm if it is obvious that the cube contains it). I bet someone will be able to help you, though.

I'm not saying look ahead too far lol. Assume that I've completed reduction....started 3x3...gotten to OLL and realized that I have OLL parity. Is there something I can look for at this point that will tell me that I have double parity?

EDIT: Back to my original question as well. I still fail to see how Lucas's algorithm isnt a DP alg. When I perfrom the alg, two edges are switched across in addition to an edge being flipped. It performs the PLL parity alg as well as an OLL parity alg. Isn't the algorithm that you linked me to as a DP alg simply an OLL parity alg? That wouldn't solve double parity. That would still leave you with PLL parity as you're only flipping the edge.

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Puzzlemaster: 'Lucasparity' only solves OLL Parity. It switches 2 corners in addition to 2 edges.

DP algorithms generally only switch 2 corners and flip an edge.

Regarding parity recognition during OLL, the only practical way I know of is to recognise permutation while ignoring orientation, and seeing if it's a 'legal' PLL or not.

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
r' U2 r U2 r' F2 r2 U2 r U2 r' U2 x U2 r2 U2

Apparently this is the 'Hungarian alg' :p

I think my best with it is around 2.6-2.7, it's definitely a nice alg (Breandan said that he uses this, or your alg, depending on hand position).

Yeah I use this too, I found it on Stefan Pochmann's website.

I'm a bit surprised that algorithm isn't one of the main choices, I thought it's quite popular...

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I think my best with it is around 2.6-2.7, it's definitely a nice alg (Breandan said that he uses this, or your alg, depending on hand position).

I'm a bit surprised that algorithm isn't one of the main choices, I thought it's quite popular...

How do you guys do the U2 with that? Right double flip or left double flip or...?

dbax0999

WCA
2009ADAM01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I use this alg too, I think it's pretty nice.

Weston

Premium Member
WCA
2008MIZU01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I use this one as well. I thought this was the one that everyone used lol

EDIT: (2.88), (3.90), 3.09, 2.89, 3.00,
I never do it that fast in solves though. My 4x4 sucks.

Last edited:

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Lucas, I didn't see the poll (I never really scroll up when I click a link from the index, and it automatically puts the blue bar at the top, thus I don't see the poll. I'm pretty sure when I posted my response your alg wasn't a link, but I may be wrong (I just don't remember seeing a link). Even if the link was there when I posted, I doubt I would have clicked on it anyway due to the fact I didn't expect your alg tool to do anything different then standard notation would.

S1neWav_

WCA
2016RODR25
YouTube
Visit Channel
I used to use this easy to memorize pure flip but now i use Lucas' alg. (It's my alg too my name is also Lucas. Kappa)
2R2 U2 2R2 U2 2R U2 2R U2 2R' U2 B2 U' 2R' U B2 U' 2R U'