• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Which 17x17 is better? Shengshou vs Yuxin

Which 17x17 is better?

• Total voters

2018AMSB02

Premium Member
WCA
2018AMSB02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know that most everyone (myself included) has never tried either of the mass produced 17x17s, but for those of you that have tried both, which is better? Especially how often it pops (preferably never) and how tiring is it to turn? I know that the shengshou one is 3x lighter, but the YuXin one would get to me a lot quicker. Let me know what you think.

@Netrv Cubes Said this in a PM and I think it does add to the discussion so I will add it here too:

"shengshou one is terrible,it is sandy, and pieces are small and prone to popping. It is way more expensive and the pieces break easily"

Take this with a grain of salt though, because he is the one selling me the YuXin one.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am surprised that the current votes are for yuxin. While it may turn better or have better mechanics you have no choice but to table it when solving, especially if you have small hands. The shengshou is smaller than the moyu 13x13 and essentially identical to the moyu 15x15 in size at 122mm vs the 176mm for the huanglong. The yuxin looks extremely unpleasant to solve while from experience the 120mm 15x15 is still manageable and enjoyable to turn. I am also contemplating a 17x17 and without question I'd get the shengshou 100% based on size. On the other hand the the yuxin is more impressive looking on a shelf but I think a cube should be enjoyable to solve above all else.

ETA: but yes, the general concensouse from online reviews both print and video are that ALL the high order sengshou puzzles don't turn amazingly well and are prone to popping...which terrifys me on big cubes. I'm hopeful moyu will make a 17 or larger b/c both 13 and especially the 15 are fantastic puzzles.

Last edited:

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't own the Shengshou but I have seen videos of all of their big puzzles. I do own a magnetic Yuxin 17x17. It turns great. It has never even come close to popping. Yes, you have to table it but it's worth it. I can't imagine any scenario where the Shengshou is better unless size is absolutely the only thing you care about.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't own the Shengshou but I have seen videos of all of their big puzzles. I do own a magnetic Yuxin 17x17. It turns great. It has never even come close to popping. Yes, you have to table it but it's worth it. I can't imagine any scenario where the Shengshou is better unless size is absolutely the only thing you care about.
These are good points. The prospect of having to table to cube just seems so unpleasant / unnatural to me but maybe that’s my lack of experience talking. Glad to hear you still enjoy solving it despite the massive size. The more I think about the quality of Yuxin big cubes can Shengshou it does seem like the turning benefits outweigh any downsides of size.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
These are good points. The prospect of having to table to cube just seems so unpleasant / unnatural to me but maybe that’s my lack of experience talking. Glad to hear you still enjoy solving it despite the massive size. The more I think about the quality of Yuxin big cubes can Shengshou it does seem like the turning benefits outweigh any downsides of size.
Tabling isn't bad. I never use a table, just use my lap when I want to set it down. I've solved my 17x17 9 times, if that helps any.

And, really, when you're talking thousands of turns, turn quality does take on a bit more importance.

Doctor Hedron

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yuxin if you want to impress your guests with a mega chonker on your shelf. Shengshou if you want to speedsolve.

The actual turning quality of the layers is about the same, both of them are "good", but Yuxin is enormous and heavy. 3 kg vs. 1 kg!

CKSuperLevis, the dedicated big cube solver who holds a lot of UWRs on really big cubes, has both 17x17s - see his unboxing, first impressions and comparison here. His times went down significantly after he switched to Shengshou. His current PB on Shengshou is 46 mins, and on Yuxin it's 57.5 mins. He uploads almost all of his "notable" solves, check his channel page.

In terms of "playability" both are fine, but when it comes to turning 3 kilos of plastic over the course of a few hours, smaller and lighter is always better. Much easier to handle. You can see the same thing with i.e. Meilong 10x10 versus the old large 10x10s (Yuxin and old Shengshou). The only reason why it's debatable for 8x8 and 9x9 with MF8 and MF9 is because these two happen to be mediocre cubes (for their generation, that is).

Last edited:

2018AMSB02

Premium Member
WCA
2018AMSB02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Now scramble it! :D

lol jk but am I?

I’m one step ahead of you
06c6a5775029b3998971454aba895065.jpg

chocool6

Wait you magnetized it by hand????? Also are inners stronger than outers or are they the same

chocool6

SpeedCubeShop did it. Inners are a little stronger than outers.

I do have a 15x15 I'll be magnetizing, just haven't done it yet. It's not all that hard, just takes time.
How much did that cost?!

D

Deleted member 54663

I know that most everyone (myself included) has never tried either of the mass produced 17x17s, but for those of you that have tried both, which is better? Especially how often it pops (preferably never) and how tiring is it to turn? I know that the shengshou one is 3x lighter, but the YuXin one would get to me a lot quicker. Let me know what you think.

@Netrv Cubes Said this in a PM and I think it does add to the discussion so I will add it here too:

"shengshou one is terrible,it is sandy, and pieces are small and prone to popping. It is way more expensive and the pieces break easily"

Take this with a grain of salt though, because he is the one selling me the YuXin one.
Lol I don't do 17x17 who does