• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Where do you think US Nationals 2010 should be held?

Where should the US nationals be held next? In your opinion

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmund

WCA
2008ROTH03
If it were in Detroit, how does mid-late June sound as a date? :p

Also, yes it would be easier for Canadians to compete too, but what about Southern US? Isn't it around 1200-1300 miles from South Files.
And poor Mexicans...

No that statement does NOT have a finish, it's an emotion. >_<

That is true what you said about the people in Southern U.S. and this is U.S. Nationals not the Canadian Open. I'm open to Canadians coming but I don't think we should really consider other countries when planning OUR nationals. They can come and compete and I'd say even win prizes but we should try to make it easy for people in the continental United States.

Point taken, although I find it a little disappointing that Europe has it's own continental championship and not North America, which led me to the idea.

Agreed there. I think we all have to have our national tournaments but I don't think it would be bad if we had a continental tourney. That would be a good idea. And meeting all the new people would keep cubing interesting.

On topic, I agree that Nats should be held in the Northeast, and I am one of those examples of why. Being a minor, my parents wouldn't let me go cross country alone, and didn't want to come with me for nats. I can't go this year. I don't mean to sound like a sob story, just my 2 cents. I am almost certain that by the time of nats, if it were held in the NE area, I would most certainly be able to go. IMO, NYC is out of the question due to reasons mentioned earlier (mainly cost). Perhaps somewhere in NJ or Boston?

For the record, cubers under the age of 18 only exist in the northeast part of the US, nowhere else.

jcuber

WCA
2009LEVI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
On topic, I agree that Nats should be held in the Northeast, and I am one of those examples of why. Being a minor, my parents wouldn't let me go cross country alone, and didn't want to come with me for nats. I can't go this year. I don't mean to sound like a sob story, just my 2 cents. I am almost certain that by the time of nats, if it were held in the NE area, I would most certainly be able to go. IMO, NYC is out of the question due to reasons mentioned earlier (mainly cost). Perhaps somewhere in NJ or Boston?

For the record, cubers under the age of 18 only exist in the northeast part of the US, nowhere else.
Very funny. What I am saying is that the cubers who are minors on the west coast have already had a shot a going to nats, while us here on the east coast haven't (this essentially applies to minors only).

Last edited:

Paul Wagner

WCA
2008WAGN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If we're thinking midwest for Nationals, Detroit would be a great choice for a host, and I would be willing to do whatever you'd need to bring it here. It would make the US Nationals seem much more like a competition for all of North America (English speaking parts, at least) by attracting both American and Canadian cubers. The Motor City Open, held back in April, was completely dominated by the Canadians, so there would be no doubt that Detroit would be a great city for hosting the "NA Open." With the completely depressed state of Detroit, it makes it very cheap to fly/stay here as well.

I know I sound like a complete homer when saying this, and I realize venues in places like New York and DC would be much more fun than Detroit, I just thought I'd just throw out my idea. I'd be willing to help for next year's Nationals in any way I can provided that it is in the east somewhere.
A bunch of good examples that were all really helpful. Which helps put it into consideration that it should be held in the Mid-West.

Of course, not my consideration because it isn't my decision.

Last edited:

jcuber

WCA
2009LEVI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If we're thinking midwest for Nationals, Detroit would be a great choice for a host, and I would be willing to do whatever you'd need to bring it here. It would make the US Nationals seem much more like a competition for all of North America (English speaking parts, at least) by attracting both American and Canadian cubers. The Motor City Open, held back in April, was completely dominated by the Canadians, so there would be no doubt that Detroit would be a great city for hosting the "NA Open." With the completely depressed state of Detroit, it makes it very cheap to fly/stay here as well.

I know I sound like a complete homer when saying this, and I realize venues in places like New York and DC would be much more fun than Detroit, I just thought I'd just throw out my idea. I'd be willing to help for next year's Nationals in any way I can provided that it is in the east somewhere.
A bunch of good examples that were all really helpful.

and one post that wasn't :p

E

Ethan Rosen

Very funny. What I am saying is that the cubers who are minors on the west coast have already had a shot a going to nats, while us here on the east coast haven't (this essentially applies to minors only).

There are several EC minors going to nationals this year.

mark3

This poll is pointless, everyone will vote for what is closest to them, not what is best.

My campaign for US Virgin Islands 2010 is still on.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Age has not been an issue for me since I was ~12. No matter how old you are, cost/time of transportation/living is most important.
DC would be nice for selfish reasons.

Virgin Islands is just stupid.
1. Who is there?
2. Who can afford going there?

mark3

Age has not been an issue for me since I was ~12. No matter how old you are, cost/time of transportation/living is most important.
DC would be nice for selfish reasons.

Virgin Islands is just stupid.
1. Who is there?
2. Who can afford going there?

It's just a teensy bit of a joke. Where are sarcasm tags when you need them.

Paul Wagner

WCA
2008WAGN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This poll is pointless, everyone will vote for what is closest to them, not what is best.

WRONG, Vulosity voted for West Coast and he lives in Florida I believe.

That's a very good point, Ethan. So Jcuber please don't use the minor point anymore.

Last edited:

Vulosity

YouTube
Visit Channel

I voted for West Coast because I'll be in California for the whole summer next year. If Nats would be held in the west coast again next year, it'll most likely be in California.

Last edited:

mark3

I voted that because I'll be in California for the whole summer. if Nats would be held in the west coast again next year, it'll most likely be in California.

Pwnage. I love two win threads at the same time.

Paul Wagner

WCA
2008WAGN01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I voted that because I'll be in California for the whole summer. if Nats would be held in the west coast again next year, it'll most likely be in California.

Pwnage. I love two win threads at the same time.
I don't understand you sometimes.

And I'm sorry but I don't remember Vulosity telling me other than that time he's going to be in California all summer.

So I think we should have it anywhere but the West Coast this next year, but my vote is Northeast.

jcuber

WCA
2009LEVI01
YouTube
Visit Channel

How many WC minors are going to nats this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.