• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Where did you learn to solve the cube?/Best beginner tutorial?

kprox1994

WCA
2017PAAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just wondering where everyone else learned to solve the cube, I learned the first 2 layers back in June, 2007 on Tyson Mao's tutorial, got stuck, but bought a new cube and learned the last layer from him in March of 2008 when my school got really into cubes.

It seems like most people learn from pogobat, I always found his tutorial confusing. I have also always liked Rob's tutorial, and Badmephisto's is good too. Did anyone learn from the book that came with the cube?

Akash Rupela

WCA
2012RUPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi, I learned from pogobat's tutorial(the new one in which he a cool hairstyle :D ) the layer by layer's method, took me less than 1 day to understand it, and very soon it became quite spontaneous. Then i learnt intuitive f2l from robh0629(if i remember right) from youtube. Then i went through badmephisto's videos for f2l, advanced cross, and pll recognition. Apart from that, i use bob burton's page(cubewhiz) and breandan vallance(jammyman3014 on youtube) for some awesome fingertricks. Given all this, i started cubing around less than 1 month back, and i find myself improving faster than other new cubers. ( i dint get any book with my guhong, and i also love rob and badmephisto's tutorials for f2l , but Pogobat's beginner's tutorial was also good for me to begin with, although most good cubers dont like it, but i love the way he motivates anyone to solve the cube easily)

Edit-forgot to mention- rido's hunting story is a very nice concept for f2l, must watch

Last edited:

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is most certainly the easiest beginners method tutorial. Probably not the best if you want to go for speed afterwards, but it's a good starter for people who are already confused after 'step one, make a cross, good luck'.

Best way is still to learn from someone else, though that someone else needs a lot of patience ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Georgeanderre

Taught myself...

Ive never needed to use video tutorials, think the only "tutorial" ive read is Thom Barlows K4 site
and Lars Vandenburghs pages for a good parity algorithm

tozies24

WCA
2010TOZI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My friend taught me on a four hour bus trip. I was getting around 5 minutes at the end of the trip. Basic Beginner's Method: It was cross, first layer corners, second layer edges, flip over cube, F R U R' U' F' for cross on top, then sune to solve top, then an alg to rotate the corners and then one to rotate the edges. Fun stuff. Jokingly I said I was going to get it down to 30 seconds. Little did I know that I actually would at that time lol

Olji

Premium Member
WCA
2010JONS01
I learned from Youcandothecube.com, think its pretty good for starters, except a bad edge cycle >-<

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is by far the best one if you want to get into speedcubing:

If you want to learn it just for the sake of solving it and you don't care how fast you are, then Erik's beginner's tutorial would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Owen

An ancient book from the eighties that I found lying around. That's most of the reason I'm so slow today, the method was not very good for transitioning to a fast method.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I made up my own way for F2L (blockbuilding ish), and then I got stuck and used some solution book to learn repetitive-sune OLL and then Permute corners, Permute edges

I used to use CFOP (for two months- got barely sub-20) and now I use Roux now (14-18 secs avg) :D
So I went back to blockbuilding eventually.

I find the best way to start is blockbuilding cuz then they develop an understanding of the cube. I was lucky to do so...
Like right now, I'm teaching two friends Roux. One learned from scratch (as in, I taught him roux directly, in person) and is getting the efficiency thing now... just needs to look ahead faster.
But my other one who learned from pogobat (no offense), is using the beginner method to build the blocks. It's a bit of trouble getting him to blockbuild efficiently.

Last edited:

cubeslayer

I am not important enough in the cubing community to be hated upon. That taken care of, I find pogobat's beginner tutorial to be the best for absolute noobs.