• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

When you switched to opposide neutral / colour neutral?

shuantsu

I'm making this thread because when I tried to switch to opposite neutral it was hard in the beggining, but I really don't remember how I got used to it, and now I do the same times with yellow or white, it was a fast and easy transition when I look back.

I was averaging 45s.

But with colour neutral is hard to get used to it. I trained a lot with red and blue, so I could be opposite neutral on those colours after. I love it, but I'm not ver good on it, I get confused sometimes and have a hard time looking for pairs. Its like re-learning F2L.

BUT, my PB was on blue a while ago, because I got a ridiculous x-cross/f2l, so thats why I love colour neutrality. I <3 doing those "alien" pairs, and look to you last layer with highly-contrasting psychodelic colors.

How cool is that?

Normal pair:
visualcube.php

Alien pairs D=
visualcube.php
visualcube.php

visualcube.php
<3

So i'm making this thread for you CN guys, specially Rowe, Faz, to know how it was when you switched, because you have to start somewhere.

I am not really practicing colour neutral, because I have afraid of screwing my averages, but I will eventually transition to full CN.

I was relutant of switching to F2L too, but eventualy I did. So with opposite neutral. And now with full CN.

Last edited:

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Opp-neutral about a year ago. Maybe before that.
I'm the same with White or Yellow.

Edit:
Cool function that no one uses to my despair: [_cube_] tags.
Code:
[c ube]case=R U R' U'[/c ube]
no spaces in 'cube'

Last edited:

liljthedude

WCA
2011PIER02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Practice color neutral solves slow and without timing yourself. Don't just practice by doing "Oh! I'm practicing red today," you should also look for the easiest cross and do that one. Because that's what you will be doing in real solves, searching for the side that is the easiest.

When I made the transition to CN my average sure did slow down. But, you have to remember to ignore times all together when practicing. I jokingly told myself that "I'm not equally good with each color, I just equally suck right now." And that's how you have to think. Practice is the key just like anything else in cubing.

Practice slow solves on the easiest side. Time yourself once a week, and if you times are horrible, KEEP practicing! I think it took me a good month until I was comfortable with solving all colors.
If you practice like I've told you, you will see results.
I know you can do it!

Last edited:

TheMachanga

WCA
2010LECH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I never "switched" to CN. I never "trained" with special colors. I simply assumed everyone was like that since I first started and simply did all solves on any color that I thought had an easy cross. It's easier just to start learn cfop F2L already CN instead of learning one color, then switching to CN.

some1rational

I plateaued at 21-22 seconds for about 2 months and I was a white only solver.

Getting bored I started solving on other colors (first blue, then red) and I only solved on those 3 colors for some time. My times dropped to about 19-20 seconds as I was learning this 'half color neutrality'.

Getting bored again, I then started practicing full color neutral (since I merely had to 'flip' my secondary color orientation because I was comfortable on red, white, and blue). And now I'm averaging 18 seconds and still improving, though I can't be sure whether or not it was because I switched to color neutral.

But learning CN kept me interested when I though I coulnd't get any faster. I now can't remember what it was like when I wasn't CN and I highly suggest anyone who wants to be CN to give it a shot (dont' listen to all the people who keep saying "you have to be CN at the start", if it's still possible even for me, I believe it's possible for anyone)

fariq

WCA
2009ISME01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm a bit colour neutral. I just need to concentrate more than normal to match my avg time on white or yellow. I can solve using both normal colour scheme and japanese colour scheme. Just need a few practice solve on different scheme before I start timing.

LewisJ

I started with always yellow cross, switched to opposite neutral at around 35-40s average. Now I'm around 20s but haven't learned full F2L or gone full CN...lazy.

Mewrius

I just started solving from the cross that looked easiest and the rest just came naturally and now I don't even notice the color I start on.

SixSidedCube

WCA
2012LOUD02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I watched Dan Brown on youtube, and I seemed to be colour neutral from the start there. When I switched to Fridrich, I went to white side only, as that was what the diagrams I printed off were set as. As I practised more, I must have magically gone to CN because I only realised I am CN just a week or three ago :p

shuantsu

1 - How do you find the easiest cross in 15 seconds?

2- If they're all equally difficult, do you tend to choose the color that you're most familiar with?

1 - I don't have the habit to activate the inspection time. I get nervous and screw my cross. Just do it on forum competitions.

But answering your question: I just look around the cube mentally solving the crosses one by one. If I don't like one, I discard it. If one is good I take note of it and go to the next one. If I find 2 easy crosses, I choose the one that would give me a easy 1st f2l pair.

2 - If all of them suck (or the inspection time is ending) I do white

as you can see, and how I stated before, I'm not CN.
yet

How do you find the easiest cross in 15 seconds?

If they're all equally difficult, do you tend to choose the color that you're most familiar with?

Somewhere on the net, I read an article where the author stated that the more importend point in getting colorneutral would not be the saved moves, but the ability to spot (only spot)
the first CE-Pair.

Sounds very logic, but i'm the wrong to judge.

Question: is becoming color neutral easier with non Friedrich methode?