• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

When should I transition to an intermediate method? (need help for pyra, skewb)

GAN 356 X

LBL for Pyra and Sarah’s Intermediate for skewb are great. Switch now, it can’t hurt. Both methods are good enough for sub 7
@alexiscubing has gotten sub-4 with LBL for pyraminx I believe. I use LBL and plan to maybe learn Nutella or keyhole so I can make finals in pyraminx by the end of this year (if I can be bothered)

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
First of all, if your averaging 20 seconds and 40 seconds, you should probably practice, that's your first step.

For pyraminx, in the assumption you are sticking with V first, I'd stick with LBL until you're consistently sub 7.5. After this, I'd start learning L4E and implementing some v-first techniques into your solves, such as focusing on building the v, better tips, and learning what sledges and hedges do.

For skewb, I'd stick with the beginning method until your close to sub 9 or 8.5. (This would be the first layer, then LL corners, then yellow center, then L4C.) After you reach this milestone, I'd recommend getting used to Sarahs intermediate, which is the same thing except you solve all of the yellow face, rather than the corners than centers, with a variety of sledges and hedges, as well as learning Z and H. After you get sub 4.5/sub 4, you should get used to advanced algorithms,

alexiscubing

WCA
2018HIRS04
YouTube
Visit Channel
@alexiscubing has gotten sub-4 with LBL for pyraminx I believe. I use LBL and plan to maybe learn Nutella or keyhole so I can make finals in pyraminx by the end of this year (if I can be bothered)
Yes but i kinda grinded as it was the first wca event I learnt and the what got me into cubing!
I would suggest doing intuitive L4E at sub 8
I also avg sub 8 with beginners on skewb

GAN 356 X

Make sure you know Keyhole, OKA, and 1-Flip first then move on to Nutella and WO, but both of those are not essential for sub 3.
I'll probably learn those sometime this year, as I wouldn't mind getting sub-4 hopefully (aka be able to make finals). I need to make a list of cubing priorities soon, as I also want learn CLL, improve my big cube skills, and get good at 3x3. Tbh skewb has never really interested me, maybe a sub-10 average? lol

So far, I average around 20 for Skewb and 40 for Pyraminx. When should I change over to better methods?
I am sub 3 with algs and sarah advanced ,and i would say i know 8 methods of skewb and you can be sub 6 with any method ,so i have been doing skewb for 3 years i ,would say practice sledges and hedges and dont be shy in spamming ,and once you are sub 15 learn sarah intermediate and then work on it and get sub 8 and start learning sarah advanced in process of reaching sub 7 and slowly practicing sarah advanced you will get sub 4 and sub 3 and then learn algs and keep exploring and practicing skewb after that . And most important keep practcing your uperms and z perms and h perms and also sledges and hedges as they help alot in skewb journey

Chinmay47

Even I am sub 10 on both Skewb and Pyraminx. I average about 7 on both. I use L4E for Pyraminx and Beginner with little variations from Sarah intermediate for Skewb. Is there anything I can be better?