• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What's your favorite Free Software?

dougreed

This is completely random, I know. I won't get into any philosophical debates here about how the "Free" used in the topic title differs from the common "free" (as in free beer) definition, unless someone really wants to know.

I have to cast my votes for the Linux kernel and Vim, although I might add some software later.

Post links!

-Doug

pjgat09

This is too general. Most of the time all I work with is free software, so I have come across a lot that I like. It really depends on what category you are talking about, but a few of my favorites are Firefox, Crimson Editor. I have tons more I use alot, but after those it gets very difficult to pick the best.

dougreed

Originally posted by pjgat09@May 13 2006, 07:19 PM
This is too general. Most of the time all I work with is free software, so I have come across a lot that I like. It really depends on what category you are talking about, but a few of my favorites are Firefox, Crimson Editor. I have tons more I use alot, but after those it gets very difficult to pick the best.
Of course it's general. If I ask "what's your favorite free text editor", I'm gonna get Vi and (gasp!) Emacs and (apparently) Crimson. If I ask "what's your favorite free compiler" I'm gonna get gcc. If I ask "what's your favorite free web browser... well, you get the picture.

I wanted as many creative responses as possible. Stuff I haven't heard about. I figured leaving the topic very open-ended was the best way to achieve this.

By the way, Gentoo's new graphical installer is buggy. Like, Amazon Rainforest buggy. It is definitely *not* my favorite piece of FOSS :)

-Doug