• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What's allowed in competitions?

sergei740

Is this tournament trick legit?
So lets say I have like 18.22,17.58, 19.84, 22.56 in a tournament, and it's your last solve. If you see that you messed up your solve, can you just stop the solve, count that as a DNF, and it will be an average of 4?
Also, can anyone tell are there strategies like that?
Also, what happens if your cube pops in 2 solves, and you get 2 DNFs?
thanks

WCA
2014KAEM01
It's not an average of 4 - it's a "trimmed" average. They remove the best and worst times and average the remaining three. A DNF counts as the worst time, so that would be the one that would be removed, along with the best solve.
And if you got 2 DNFs, your average would be a DNF. Unless of course you did the sensible thing and went and got the pieces of your cube. These aren't really strategies, they're just shortcuts for lazy people who don't care enough to even finish a bad solve.

Last edited:

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
Also, can anyone tell are there strategies like that?

I wouldn't call it a strategy. Recently I had 4 good 4x4 solves to start an average with only 1 PLL parity and no OLL. I got a few moves into OLL parity on my 5th and stopped the timer because I already failed to beat my worst solve. The average ended up being the same and it saved my judge a bit of time.

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
Yeah. Aili used to have some amazingly small cube for OH. I dont know the exact size of that cube tough. Also I think she has quit speedsolving. Atleast she hasn't been in last few finnish comps....