• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Whatever Happened to 57mm 3x3s??

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
haven't you read this entire thread?
No lol. I know there is someone with big hands, but quite obviously that is not most of the cubing community. And manufacturers have to cater to the needs of most, not individual preferences. The only option I could think of is adjustable torpedo's and stuff like the Xinghen TSM

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm, so if you had a choice, since you eye-rolled my post saying that the QiYi MS is bad, than would you main the QiYi MS or a GAN 11 M Pro?
Let's say someone does main the Gan 11 M Pro over the Qiyi MS. So what? That doesn't make the Qiyi MS is bad. The Qiyi MS isn't bad by any measure. You give that cube to Feliks or Tymon and they're getting sub-6 solves on it.

Scollier

Dream inside of a Dream inside of a Dream
YouTube
Visit Channel
Let's say someone does main the Gan 11 M Pro over the Qiyi MS. So what? That doesn't make the Qiyi MS is bad. The Qiyi MS isn't bad by any measure. You give that cube to Feliks or Tymon and they're getting sub-6 solves on it.

Sorry about my imprecision of language. The QiYi MS isn't necessarily "bad," but there are much better cubes out there than the QiYi MS. And since the QiYi MS is also 56mm, why not just get a RS3M (which is on sale and cheaper rn btw) or a guhong v4?

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry about my imprecision of language. The QiYi MS isn't necessarily "bad," but there are much better cubes out there than the QiYi MS. And since the QiYi MS is also 56mm, why not just get a RS3M (which is on sale and cheaper rn btw) or a guhong v4?
Well, your language was very precise just not perhaps what you intended :)

I definitely don't think it's the best cube around - the RS3M 2020 is better - it just isn't "bad".

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
The gan speed cube
Rubik's magnetic speed cube
Rubik's connected
I filtered 57mm in tc
Link above

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe you don't like magnets in your cubes. After all no cube will be as smooth as my broken-in zhanchi and it has no magnetic bump. It has a "dry smoothness" without lube which I haven't been able to find in any other cube.
If you're feeling adventurous you can try to increase the size of a cube with apoxie sculpt. Or ask a modder to do it for you. Be warned though, it will be very labor intensive or expensive

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
Spifflet said:
Just doesn't seem to have a feel I would like, people are saying it has a pretty bumpy or "clicky" feel and I'm not really into that. The general feel/sound of a cube is just as important as performance to me. If I don't feel like I would enjoy solving on a cube and I can't feel someone else's I generally won't go out of my way to get one. It's unfortunate that I got back into cubing post-rona because there's a million cubes I'd love to try but just can't :(

Gan 375M :OOOOO
got it

did you change the 357 to 375

Spifflet

WCA
2015RADA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe you don't like magnets in your cubes. After all no cube will be as smooth as my broken-in zhanchi and it has no magnetic bump. It has a "dry smoothness" without lube which I haven't been able to find in any other cube.
If you're feeling adventurous you can try to increase the size of a cube with apoxie sculpt. Or ask a modder to do it for you. Be warned though, it will be very labor intensive or expensive

Yeah I have an old Weilong V2 and I'm loving it honestly, It's always been one of my favorite feeling cubes. I just recently got my third sub 10 ao12 on it as well so I guess cube performance really isn't my bottleneck atm anyway!

One thing that might be worth considering is to magnetise an aolong V2, it's a bit old but isn't bad and I suspect it wouldn't be far off top speedcubes if magnetised and set-up well.

This has been something I've been thinking about for a good while, when I can grab my Rubik's Connected (which has really strong magnets) I'm gonna try magnetizing either my Aolong or one of my Weilongs, not sure yet. I'm VERY interested in what that'll end up like. I really enjoy the stability and precision you get from magnetic cubes so I'm definitely gonna give that a try!