• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What Percent of the World Can Solve A 7x7

mrCage

Hmmm. One could estimate how many 3x3x3 cubes have been sold. Then assume all those know how to solve it. You wont be too far off i guess. Yes, i'm aware that not all who ones one can solve it. But also some who did NOT buy one may know how to solve one. So use the total sale as an upper bound. As a wild wild guess i'd toss out less than 1%. Hmm i'd need to rephrase a little bit. This wouls esitmate how many KNOW or HAVE KNOWN how to solve the 3x3x3.

-Per

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
One could estimate how many 3x3x3 cubes have been sold. Then assume all those know how to solve it. You wont be too far off i guess. Yes, i'm aware that not all who ones one can solve it. But also some who did NOT buy one may know how to solve one. So use the total sale as an upper bound.
I think you're pretty definitely overestimating with this number. In the US, it's pretty safe to say the vast majority of people who have owned a cube have never learned to solve it. If you just count the people who have gotten one in the past decade or so, the percentage is probably not so overwhelming (now they even often come with instructions), but most people who have ever owned a cube in the US got one in the 1980's. And almost no one knew how to solve one back then (as a percentage of the number of cubes sold). I would guess that the number of people here who have ever solved the cube is easily less than 10% of the number of cubes sold. I might be guessing wrong, but it would be my guess.

LNZ

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
To solve a 7x7x7 cube needs the ability to solve the 3x3x3, 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 to a reasonable skill level. Just being able to solve a 3x3x3 is not enough.

But I will say this. Anyone can solve a 1x1x1 cube in near WR time and do it blindfolded, using one hand or using only feet too.