• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What Makes A Good Speed Cube Shop? [POLL]

What Makes A Good Speed Cube Shop? (Choose 2)

• Total voters

Luke Terzich

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey Cubers,

I want to know the 2 top things you look for in a Speed Cube Shop (what makes you want to buy from one shop over another...)

I own KewbzUK A big UK based Puzzle Store and want to really stand out. Everything is taken seriously so please do be honest, what do you look for? I have asked before but just discovered the "Poll" function :eek::D

Let's Get Voting :p

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Good packaging. I have never, ever received a cube in a padded bag without it having at least one corner of the box crushed in. It's common sense really, that a padded bag is not enough to protect that kind of item, yet they still seem to be the norm. Nowadays I try to only order from stores that ship in boxes.

EmperorZant

WCA
2015LAUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I personally find it interesting that cheap prices is the most chosen option. I don't buy cubes terribly often, but if I want a cube, I'm saving up money and buying it--regardless of price. I used to be really into Gans cubes, and I didn't really care where I got them from (Speedcube.com.au, TheCubicle, Lighttake, etc.) as long as the price was fairly justified and I got the cube within a month. (Which is why I chose trustworthiness and latest cubes/puzzles.)

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
For me, I care most about the range of puzzles that the store has and the customer service. To me, customer service includes how fast items get shipped as well as responsiveness, handling of issues, etc.

So, for example, my favorite store is Speed Cube Shop. They aren't the cheapest US-based site (that's Cube Depot, most of the time) but have a great range of items and their customer service is stellar. Heck, they once gave me a gift card because they didn't respond quickly enough to a Facebook message.

My second favorite store is Cube Depot. They don't have a huge range but their customer service and shipping times have always been fantastic and their cheap(er) prices offset the lack of range.

Third is The Cubicle. They have the biggest selection but the worst prices and their customer service has not been good when I've had problems. I'm still willing to buy from them, though, and just placed an order yesterday, in fact.

Then there's Lightake & Cubezz. Lightake has fantastic pricing and selection but their shipping is horrible. They lie about when and where they ship from and take forever to ship (my most recent order took 10 days for them to ship, for example). Cubezz has basically the same pricing and better service but lower selection. However, a couple of the items I got in a recent order were defective and they haven't responded to me so I may have to file a Paypal claim.

Anyway, for me anyway, there's a clear line between the top 2 (SCS & CD) and the rest. And that's because of their service. I'm not a kid, and I have a job, so a couple bucks on a price isn't going to matter to me all that much. For me, it's the other stuff that matters - selection and service.

I'm surprised by cheap price, I would have thaught most people got there parents to buy cubes anyway, but even if you buy cubes yourself why not spend slightly more for good service

Luke Terzich

YouTube
Visit Channel
Good packaging. I have never, ever received a cube in a padded bag without it having at least one corner of the box crushed in. It's common sense really, that a padded bag is not enough to protect that kind of item, yet they still seem to be the norm. Nowadays I try to only order from stores that ship in boxes.
Thank you for this info! We recently trialled the padded bags but after sending maybe 5 orders out we decided against it due to this fact! Nobody complained, but the thought of the lack of protection did discourage us. Safe to say we recently invested quite a bit of money on boxes! haha :)

Thank You, Sir!

Luke Terzich

YouTube
Visit Channel
For me, I care most about the range of puzzles that the store has and the customer service. To me, customer service includes how fast items get shipped as well as responsiveness, handling of issues, etc.

So, for example, my favorite store is Speed Cube Shop. They aren't the cheapest US-based site (that's Cube Depot, most of the time) but have a great range of items and their customer service is stellar. Heck, they once gave me a gift card because they didn't respond quickly enough to a Facebook message.

My second favorite store is Cube Depot. They don't have a huge range but their customer service and shipping times have always been fantastic and their cheap(er) prices offset the lack of range.

Third is The Cubicle. They have the biggest selection but the worst prices and their customer service has not been good when I've had problems. I'm still willing to buy from them, though, and just placed an order yesterday, in fact.

Then there's Lightake & Cubezz. Lightake has fantastic pricing and selection but their shipping is horrible. They lie about when and where they ship from and take forever to ship (my most recent order took 10 days for them to ship, for example). Cubezz has basically the same pricing and better service but lower selection. However, a couple of the items I got in a recent order were defective and they haven't responded to me so I may have to file a Paypal claim.

Anyway, for me anyway, there's a clear line between the top 2 (SCS & CD) and the rest. And that's because of their service. I'm not a kid, and I have a job, so a couple bucks on a price isn't going to matter to me all that much. For me, it's the other stuff that matters - selection and service.
This is such an in-depth reason, we LOVE IT!
You sir would make a brilliant copy writter... ;)

After reading this we understand more about what people are after in a cubing shop and will definitely implement some new systems to aid us in providing the best customer support and experience that we can!