• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What is the most surprised you have been about a cube?

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Bought a square-1 and couldn't believe not only how terribly it turned but also how horrible it is to solve. There seems to be nothing intuitive about it at all. I gave up once I got it back to a cube shape and it has remained unsolved ever since.

WCA
2015LLOY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd say the AoLong v1. As someone who previously used a v2 as a main for the majority of my (short) time as a speedcuber, all I heard about the v1 was that it was an oh so superior cube to the v2 in pretty much every way, and how the v2 had a watered down design that made the cube slower, just to fix the v1's infamous corner twisting problem.

Then I went to my first comp, tried out a bunch of people's v1s, and didn't see what was so great about it compared to the v2. Eh.

Didn't stop me from buying a mini v1 off Robert-Y for one-handed purposes, though. It's good for that, I'll admit.

josh42732

The Aolong V1. It was my first legal speedcube after the Dayan Zhanchi stickerless, and after a while without proper care, it was horrid. After I got lube 6 months after I initially got the cube, the cube was the best thing that I have ever felt. I initially didn't like it, then it was my favorite thing to do. Although the stickers are horrid quality, I really enjoy the turning of it, but it is just too fast for me to speedsolve. I end up locking up on a simple F2L insertion. I will jsut have to get faster at cubing in general before I really use it. It is good for OH, though.

WCA
2011MART05
unboxing my Fangshi Guanying, averaging 27.xx seconds, do an Ao5, average 24.xx and broke my PB single ( 18.54 full step)
today, several months after that... the cubes still make me happy and surprised, I've been using it since June, and today I did an Ao5 and average 23.71 and a single of 17.76 :)

MFCuber

WCA
2014FRED03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the most surprised I have been about a cube has been the Dayan Pyraminx. I thought that it would be just as good, if not better than the Moyu Pyraminx. But when I first turned it I was greatly surprised about how bad it was. My advice, DON'T get the Dayan Pyraminx.

Ingo

Biggest disappointments:
VCube 5 (was my first 5x5, needs way too much force to turn)
Dayan Panshi (thought it would be as good as Zhanchi, but it is even worse than GuHong v1)
mf8 Square-1 v2 (pops like crazy, very mediocre performance, a puzzle to hate with all your heart)
YongJun Axis Cube (pieces glued together, worst sticker job ever, turns like ****)

Biggest surprises:
YuXin 4x4 (fast and a pleasure to turn, i like it better than the AoSu)
Gan357 (i hated both the Gan3 55mm versions, gave the 357 a try nevertheless and it is my main since i got it)
First time i tried diff oil on cubes, couldn't believe how good it made them

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My Gans 357. I thought it would be great because of all the things I had heard about it. To this day it is still garbage, with many solves done on it (thought it was a breaking in issue). It is slow, pops, corner twists, and is just terrible.