• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What is the hardest barrier you've faced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I had a very long time with a 20.60 Ao5 that I just could not beat. I think it was my PB for a couple of months.
Sub-20 average also took me a long time, because I didn't do any practise other than repeatedly solving with bad cubes. Then, I got my ShuangRen (my other cubes were either so loose they popped too much or were dead) and I went down to sub-20 average. I was stuck averaging 22-24 for probably 4-5 months.
Sub-10 single also took a while, but was a bit unexpected. I was averaging 15.5-16 that session (I always do better on weeTimer for some reason; my usual average was 17) and my PB was 10.72, then I got a 9.23 NL single.

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Getting a sub 10 3x3 avg12 took a really long time for me. I got a 10.7x avg100 before I got a sub 10 avg12. Getting a sub 6 single took really long as well and only happened when I was averaging like mid 9.

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sub 9 avg12. I just get too many 11s and not enough 8s. My PB is still 9.22.
Sub 10 avg12 was hard too. So many close misses. I almost wanted to quit cubing after the frustration.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't understand the question. The hardest achieved barrier is always the latest PB. It took the most time to get to it, didn't it?
I would interpret "barrier" as meaning some level at which you got stuck for a long time, or longer than expected. It's kind of meaningless to talk of a target as a barrier just because it's a difficult target. Barriers aren't targets, they are things that impede your progress.

applemobile

Sub 15 avg of 12. Been sup 15 for ages and ages now, and have only just realised that solving over and over again isn't helping me.

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The hardest barrier is always the next one.

^This. First barrier was something like 36. Got over it rather quickly. Next was 22. Took a little longer. Right now stuck at about 16 for like the better part of a year. Though I have felt some improvements in the last few months because of it being easier to get better singles than before, but for average I'm still stuck. I blame not being able to practice as regularly as before and also the constant sleep deprivation. (When will those babies ever sleep through the night??!?)

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The hardest barrier for me was probably getting sub 20 consistently, honestly. It was such a grind but I really wanted it and I knew I was missing a few things to hit it, and it was so frustrating. Everything after that was a product of insane passion so it didn't feel 'hard' per se - just took infinitely more practise than getting sub 20 did.

onionhoney

WCA
2008SUNZ01
Getting sub 9 consistently. I had been like ~9.5 for a year, then I achieved it for a few days like 3 yrs ago while preparing for a comp, with mysteriously smooth fingertricks and look-aheads... After the competition though, the "aura" is gone for good...for some reason I can't explain to this day. and the inconsistency coupled with heavy school work really frustrated me into quitting it a few months later... lol

SpeedSkewber

WCA
2014DAVI06
I got stuck at 22 for about a month (I got there after about one month because I learned full OLL and PLL so fast) and I just kind stopped solving for the summer and came back to it. I quickly dropped to a 14 second average, I just started doing a lot more look ahead by turning slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.