• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What is the hardest barrier you've faced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caddyswag

What are the hardest barriers to break??

Hey guys, in this thread you can discuss what the hardest barriers for you were to break. You may also like to say how long it took you to break them and what you did/learnt to break them. I think this is a good idea because it gives you a good idea of what other cubers have been through as well, it also might help you to break your goal average. Have Fun!!!! :):):)

JeffDelucia

WCA
2010DELU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In order of difficulty sub 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 etc. seriously. probably varies from person to person though depending on what is holding you back at any given speed and what you do to improve what is holding you back

Phaint

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there is. But FYI, I'd say that the hardest barrier is sub-20.

Sub 20 was strangely not a thing for me I was average 22.5 for around a month then over the course or like 2 days started getting sub 19 averages for no reason. My 6x6 time also dropped at that time by around 2 minutes my pb was something like 6:40 average of 7:30 ish then I got a 5:15 solve and have been averaging 5:45 since with frequent solves in the 5:10 range. Progression is different for everybody I seam to improve by drastic amounts at a time for no apparent reason with slow progression in between. I'm curios if that is common though do lots of people experience such drastic drops in times? I seem to be doing it on a regular basis now.

Hypocrism

WCA
2009ADLA01
The barriers that I was most conscious of were sub-1 and sub-20. Now it is taking me longer to get to sub-10, but that doesn't feel like a barrier, because I'm constantly making progress towards it as opposed towards these barriers, where I was actually stuck above them for a while each.

darckhitet

Banned
I remember when i was a constant sub 21 solver and then i saw a video called ''Slow down and look ahead''. The next day i did a 16 seconds average of 100 and on it i broke my pb now it's 12.43 seconds, then all changed, i would no longer get those 20s times .

darckhitet

Banned
I became color neutral in one day, no big deal for me just was like lets do a color neutral average, i did in 16s 1 solve 1 different color, just like my normal averages

natezach728

WCA
2012SORI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The barriers that I was most conscious of were sub-1 and sub-20. Now it is taking me longer to get to sub-10, but that doesn't feel like a barrier, because I'm constantly making progress towards it as opposed towards these barriers, where I was actually stuck above them for a while each.

Sub 10 was the hardest barrier for me. But once you break it, its freaking awesome because you get a sense of, "I made it, I'm in the elite" sort of thing. I broke it a few months ago.

Seanliu

YouTube
Visit Channel
lol you can't get 5secs faster cause your being CN, It's probably cause you practice. Cross doesn't take more then 5 seconds so it's not mainly because your CN.

Well, you have the possibility to get better F2L cases, and maybe know the first one from easy cross, which makes better lookahead. In fact, time drops like this, I would say, is totally possible.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, you have the possibility to get better F2L cases, and maybe know the first one from easy cross, which makes better lookahead. In fact, time drops like this, I would say, is totally possible.
Aside from what you see in inspection and how easy your start is, being colour neutral gives no advantage. You're not any more likely to have a better F2L if you're colour neutral.

Also, you're going to have better lookahead with a fixed colour, since you're practising looking at the same pieces every solve.

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
23 seconds. I was constantly dropping in times every week and then was at 22-23 seconds for months. One day it started to drop and after my first sub 20 ao100 it just kept going down with a new record each week again. Definitely not as extreme of a drop each time though.

Mes

Sub 30, which I'm still there. But almost broken, learning f2l algs, pll and practicing lookahead. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.