• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What free stuff has speedcubing gotten you?

Toquinha1977

WCA
2008YIMV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm pretty sure my experience isn't unique, but what kind of free crap have you gotten because people were wowed by what you can do? I'm not necessarily referring to gifts, but if you have a cool story to go with it, sure.

-Free coffee: Obtained while waiting in line at the Starbucks.
-Danon Yogurt Drink: Obtained a case at a demo booth at the mall where they were only giving out one per person.
-Beer: A local on the bus saw me solving and offered to buy me a beer at the bar that he bartends at. I took him up on it, left a nice tip. Thinking I should turn it into a bar bet.
-More Cubes: Was hired to be a Rubik's Cube consultant on the set of 2012 for a scene in which a young Indian boy is solving a Cube, much to the astonishment of his father and John Cusack's character. It was changed at the last minute to Chess, but they still paid me for my time (SCORE!), let me snack off the craft service table, and sent me home with a bunch of extra cubes.

And then there are those that are cleaning out the garage and happen to have a cube lying around, which is how I obtained an original Tomy Pyraminx and an Ideal Missing Link.

Feryll

I'm pretty sure my experience isn't unique, but what kind of free crap have you gotten because people were wowed by what you can do? I'm not necessarily referring to gifts, but if you have a cool story to go with it, sure.

-Free coffee: Obtained while waiting in line at the Starbucks.
-Danon Yogurt Drink: Obtained a case at a demo booth at the mall where they were only giving out one per person.
-Beer: A local on the bus saw me solving and offered to buy me a beer at the bar that he bartends at. I took him up on it, left a nice tip. Thinking I should turn it into a bar bet.
-More Cubes: Was hired to be a Rubik's Cube consultant on the set of 2012 for a scene in which a young Indian boy is solving a Cube, much to the astonishment of his father and John Cusack's character. It was changed at the last minute to Chess, but they still paid me for my time (SCORE!), let me snack off the craft service table, and sent me home with a bunch of extra cubes.

And then there are those that are cleaning out the garage and happen to have a cube lying around, which is how I obtained an original Tomy Pyraminx and an Ideal Missing Link.
Wow, I would be like "CUBZ PWNZORS CHESE!!1!!1" Can I get a video of the chess scene, though?

My brother bet me I couldn't do a BLD in front of him with 15 minute memo (I didn't know BLD yet). I won $100. I told him "You know, you don't have to do this" but he kept sarcastically (I think?) saying it was witchcraft.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
A guy in a park once tried to tip me a dollar after I did a blindfold solve. I turned it down, though. (It just felt wrong to take it, somehow.)

And yeah, I've had a couple of puzzles given to me because they figured I'd appreciate them and they didn't know how to solve them.

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A plate of pasta and lemonade :)

The manager of an Italian restaurant challenged me to solve a crappy dollar cube in under 5 minutes, and when I did it in a bout 1:30, he said 'wow you're faster than Will Smith!' lol

cincyaviation

WCA
2010HOVL02
A guy in a park once tried to tip me a dollar after I did a blindfold solve. I turned it down, though. (It just felt wrong to take it, somehow.)

And yeah, I've had a couple of puzzles given to me because they figured I'd appreciate them and they didn't know how to solve them.

sit outside a baseball stadium doing 4x4 solves, i guaruntee you get 20 bucks in an hour

dunpeal2064

WCA
2009WHIT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I had a regular at my work give me a really old rubik's 4x4 and a Pyraminx. The Pyra doesn't work too well, and sadly, the 4x4 lost a center piece (i preserved the original sticker for when I get a replacement). Before that, It felt pretty nice for its age.

He got them from his dad, and never used them aside twisting em around once or twice, leaving it solved. He said he wanted to see someone solve the puzzles his dad gave him, so I did. And then he let me keep em.