• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What does the regulation 4b3a (about scramble filtering for blindfolded events) mean?

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In bld scrambles orientation is part of the scramble... I believe. Marcin was banned because he knew the orientation of the cube before the solve. So the orientation was NOT random

Last edited:

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Example scrambles:

R U R' U' Rw Uw
B L D B Lw' Dw

The orientation of centers changes. No scrambles are filtered out, just adjusted to randomize orientation further before it is placed in the box and taken to the solving station

Last edited:

Gorisanson

Example scrambles:

R U R' U' Rw Uw
B L D B Lw' Dw

The orientation of centers changes. No scrambles are filtered out, just adjusted to randomize orientation further before it is placed in the box and taken to the solving station

Oh, Thanks a lot! I got it!

But.. by the following regulations, the judge places the cube onto the mat in arbitrary position on blindfolded events. So I think the regulation 4b3a is meaningless, isn't it...?

B1) Standard speed solving procedures are followed, as described in Article A (Speed Solving). Additional regulations that supersede the corresponding procedures in Article A are described below.
B1a) There is no inspection period.
B1b) The competitor supplies his own blindfold.
(https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/#B1)

A2e) The judge places the puzzle onto the mat in an arbitrary orientation while ensuring that it remains completely covered.
(https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/#A2e)

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
But.. by the following regulations, the judge places the cube onto the mat in arbitrary position on blindfolded events. So I think the regulation 4b3a is meaningless, isn't it...?

Judges will almost never take the cube and toss it in the air to get a random orientation. The scramble ensures there is a random orientation, followed by whatever the judges does. The orientation will therefor always be random.

Gorisanson

Judges will almost never take the cube and toss it in the air to get a random orientation. The scramble ensures there is a random orientation, followed by whatever the judges does. The orientation will therefor always be random.

Oh, Thank you! I perfectly understand now.
Thank all of you!

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Yep, this is pretty much right.
There was no requirement to randomize the orientation – scramblers/judges weren't required to do anything to the orientation after applying the scramble, and the competitor received an "arbitrary" orientation.

The issue was that some people ended up with consistent orientations while some people didn't. We wanted to make it clear that no competitor should get an advantage about knowing the orientation of the cube.

Giving everyone a consistent orientation (e.g. white center on top, green center in front) is probably not going to work: there will always be mistakes, and it would give competitors an unnecessary excuse to ask for an extra solve.
So the safest thing is to give everyone a random orientation. As Ollie points out, this is implemented in TNoodle using wide turns. 4b3a makes this an official requirement. 4b4+ makes it practical:

4b4+) ADDITION It is permitted for the puzzle to change its orientation when it is moved from the scrambler to the solving station, as long as no one is attempting to influence the randomness of the orientation (see Regulation A2e1).

Last edited:

Gorisanson

So the safest thing is to give everyone a random orientation. As Ollie points out, this is implemented in TNoodle using wide turns. 4b3a makes this an official requirement. 4b4+ makes it practical:

I didn't know there was an additional guideline 4b4+. Now I see what the regulations mean more clearly. Thank you!