• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

what are some cubes you bought you were excited for that you hate? (or vice versa?)

Kaiju_cube

I was thinking about this a little today; how some of my collection turned out to be more fun than I expected, and then how some others turned out to be not fun or downright frustrating, or even in a 'I am never scrambling that again I don't want to touch it!' category.

So in the 'more fun than I was expecting' category I'd have to put cuboids. 3x3x5, 3x3x7, and the X-Cube and Master X-Cube are really fun. They have a really nice solid, clacky feel to them and they're just fun and enjoyable to hold and solve. More than I expected them to be. Just picking them up feels good, they have a good weight and just a really nice solid feel. I wish I could find a WitEden 3x3 cube because I like the cuboids so much I wish I had a 'normal' cube from them, exactly like the 3x3x4,.. only just a 3x3. They just feel good to hold and use.

20210910_135356.jpg

Honorable mention goes to the Tony Fisher 'Ball in a Cube'. I figured it would be a pretty easy solve, sort of a 4x4 combined with 5x5 centers, but it turned out to just be a very fun cube to solve. I have not figured out yet the edge parity alg for it yet, it only happens sometimes. I usually end up scrambling it while trying to fix the parity. It sort of gets a parity like a 4x4, but... not exactly since the centers are a 5x5. It's weird, I'll figure it out though hopefully. (extra honorable mention goes to the siamese cube which I forgot to take a pic of, that one is pretty fun too, and more challenging than I expected since you're limited to R and U moves .. for the most part.)

20210910_135612.jpg

Also the shape-shifting 3x3 Rubiks is a lot of fun. I know people say, "it's just a ghost-cube with stickers!" ... I don't care, it's fun to solve. F2L and PLL is a lot of fun on it. It's weird.

20210910_135918.jpg

Now in the 'I thought you'd be fun; but now I hate you' category',...

#1 for me is the Mastermorphix. I thought it would be fun, it looked (sort of?) easy, it's a 3x3, right?

Hate it. Spent hours trying to solve it, finally gave in and watched a tutorial,.. that didn't make sense, so I watched another one,.. that also didn't make a lot of sense. I just found it a frustrating puzzle and I don't like the turning. It doesn't feel good in my hands. I eventually solved it out of dumb luck. But I didn't enjoy it.

runner up: The Gear Cube (mine is the Qiyi one),.. it looks cool, the mechanical aspect of it is neat, I just don't much enjoy the solves, and the aspect of 'keep turning until it fixes itself' doesn't appeal to me. On a 3x3 you do each move or alg knowing it's a set sequence of moves and you know why you're doing it and what the outcome will be. So the whole, 'just keep rotating and it'll work itself out' thing on the gear cube just sort of rubs me wrong. I want to know exactly what's happening on the cube I'm solving since understanding the process is part of the joy of doing the solve. Maybe I just need to do more solves with it, but I found the "Oh neat the pieces are rotating!" aspect of the cube wasn't enough to keep me interested.

20210910_140018.jpg

honorable mentions:

Gigaminx and Teraminx,... I swear I'll solve the last few sides of my Gigaminx one day,.. then I'll start on the Teraminx.

I've had a Gigaminx on my desk that's half solved for months. Seems like when I start working on the second half I screw up something on the first half and spend the time fixing it instead of solving. Haven't used a tutorial yet because I keep telling myself I should be able to figure it out since I can do big cubes and Megaminx. I probably just need to sit down and devote some real time into solving it and give it the proper attention it deserves. It's a very cool puzzle.

20210910_140110.jpg
(I swear I'll figure you out you beautiful hunk-o-plastic!)

So what are your Love/Hates ? I can't be the only one with a few cubes gathering dust that I never want to solve again. haha

..... I feel that morphix on the other side of the room glaring at me. "Glare away! I hate you too! You're not my real Dad!" ... ungrateful plastic...

Last edited:

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
The Witeden 2x2x7. I love cuboids and the Witeden 2x2x4 is a big favorite of mine. But the 2x2x7 pops if you, well, do anything with it.

Another is the Carl's Bubbloid v2. The "new and improved" version except it pops constantly. It's basically impossible to solve because you're afraid to turn it.

X-Man Shadow. Got a custom magnetic one from Speedcubeshop. So incredibly bad. I had two options with - so tight that it couldn't be turned or popping. No in-between. Easily the worst "flagship" puzzle from a major company I've ever used. EASILY.

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
I don't HATE it, but I'm disappointed with the way my "Renewed" Gan X (numerical IPG) from Amazon came. It just has problem after problem, and I don't feel like cubing with it anymore. For just $5 more, I could have gotten the Air M brand new, and If I had saved $7, I could have gotten an M (its even cheaper now). I would definetly have chosen to get the M, but it was too late to return. When my brother got his M, it felt so much better than my X in ways I would really have wanted: Lighter and crispier.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I was excited for the MGC 4x4, considering the reviews I watched. Don't get me wrong, it's a good cube and very, VERY fast, but it has this weird squeaky noise that I can't seem to get rid of. During solves, it's barely noticeable, but ever so often I hear a squeak while turning it and when practicing slow solves and lookahead. I wasn't expecting that much from the QiYi MS Pyraminx and thinking that it was a slow cube, but it's actually my favorite out of my small collection.

xyzzy

I was excited for the MGC 4x4, considering the reviews I watched. Don't get me wrong, it's a good cube and very, VERY fast, but it has this weird squeaky noise that I can't seem to get rid of. During solves, it's barely noticeable, but ever so often I hear a squeak while turning it and when practicing slow solves and lookahead.
Have you tried lubing the rings? That's usually the cause of squeaking noises in 444 and 666 hardware.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was super excited for the Gan 356 cube in 2016. Turns out it was one of the worst overpriced cubes that I bought. It was super locky, was heavy, dark stickers that would start to chip instantly.

Granted the Gan cubes nowadays have changed a lot.

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
I was excited for the MGC 4x4, considering the reviews I watched. Don't get me wrong, it's a good cube and very, VERY fast, but it has this weird squeaky noise that I can't seem to get rid of. During solves, it's barely noticeable, but ever so often I hear a squeak while turning it and when practicing slow solves and lookahead. I wasn't expecting that much from the QiYi MS Pyraminx and thinking that it was a slow cube, but it's actually my favorite out of my small collection.
I haven't, but thanks for the suggestion! Although I have no heavy lubes. Is it ok if I use Weight 2?
yeah anything will work, just the heavier the lube, the less often you have to lube it

Last edited:
I was thinking about this a little today; how some of my collection turned out to be more fun than I expected, and then how some others turned out to be not fun or downright frustrating, or even in a 'I am never scrambling that again I don't want to touch it!' category.

So in the 'more fun than I was expecting' category I'd have to put cuboids. 3x3x5, 3x3x7, and the X-Cube and Master X-Cube are really fun. They have a really nice solid, clacky feel to them and they're just fun and enjoyable to hold and solve. More than I expected them to be. Just picking them up feels good, they have a good weight and just a really nice solid feel. I wish I could find a WitEden 3x3 cube because I like the cuboids so much I wish I had a 'normal' cube from them, exactly like the 3x3x4,.. only just a 3x3. They just feel good to hold and use.

View attachment 17010

Honorable mention goes to the Tony Fisher 'Ball in a Cube'. I figured it would be a pretty easy solve, sort of a 4x4 combined with 5x5 centers, but it turned out to just be a very fun cube to solve. I have not figured out yet the edge parity alg for it yet, it only happens sometimes. I usually end up scrambling it while trying to fix the parity. It sort of gets a parity like a 4x4, but... not exactly since the centers are a 5x5. It's weird, I'll figure it out though hopefully. (extra honorable mention goes to the siamese cube which I forgot to take a pic of, that one is pretty fun too, and more challenging than I expected since you're limited to R and U moves .. for the most part.)

View attachment 17011

Also the shape-shifting 3x3 Rubiks is a lot of fun. I know people say, "it's just a ghost-cube with stickers!" ... I don't care, it's fun to solve. F2L and PLL is a lot of fun on it. It's weird.

View attachment 17012

Now in the 'I thought you'd be fun; but now I hate you' category',...

#1 for me is the Mastermorphix. I thought it would be fun, it looked (sort of?) easy, it's a 3x3, right?

Hate it. Spent hours trying to solve it, finally gave in and watched a tutorial,.. that didn't make sense, so I watched another one,.. that also didn't make a lot of sense. I just found it a frustrating puzzle and I don't like the turning. It doesn't feel good in my hands. I eventually solved it out of dumb luck. But I didn't enjoy it.

runner up: The Gear Cube (mine is the Qiyi one),.. it looks cool, the mechanical aspect of it is neat, I just don't much enjoy the solves, and the aspect of 'keep turning until it fixes itself' doesn't appeal to me. On a 3x3 you do each move or alg knowing it's a set sequence of moves and you know why you're doing it and what the outcome will be. So the whole, 'just keep rotating and it'll work itself out' thing on the gear cube just sort of rubs me wrong. I want to know exactly what's happening on the cube I'm solving since understanding the process is part of the joy of doing the solve. Maybe I just need to do more solves with it, but I found the "Oh neat the pieces are rotating!" aspect of the cube wasn't enough to keep me interested.

View attachment 17013

honorable mentions:

Gigaminx and Teraminx,... I swear I'll solve the last few sides of my Gigaminx one day,.. then I'll start on the Teraminx.

I've had a Gigaminx on my desk that's half solved for months. Seems like when I start working on the second half I screw up something on the first half and spend the time fixing it instead of solving. Haven't used a tutorial yet because I keep telling myself I should be able to figure it out since I can do big cubes and Megaminx. I probably just need to sit down and devote some real time into solving it and give it the proper attention it deserves. It's a very cool puzzle.

View attachment 17014
(I swear I'll figure you out you beautiful hunk-o-plastic!)

So what are your Love/Hates ? I can't be the only one with a few cubes gathering dust that I never want to solve again. haha

..... I feel that morphix on the other side of the room glaring at me. "Glare away! I hate you too! You're not my real Dad!" ... ungrateful plastic...
I hate the mastermorphix too

I’ve solved it a couple of times but I hate it so much for no explainable reason

Scollier

Dream inside of a Dream inside of a Dream
YouTube
Visit Channel
I got the YJ Zhilong mini 4x4 and since I didn't really know any other 4x4's and it was my first one, I thought it was good. However, the cube pops a ton the turning is really clacky. Then, when I got the MoYu RS4 M from a mystery puzzle, I found that it really didn't pop and the turning was quite smooth. I immediately liked it much much better than my previous YJ 4x4 and now it's my main.

Also I was super excited for the rs3m 2020 because everyone was such a big fan of it but I honestly wasn’t that impressed, maybe because it’s my only stickered cube, I think I might be more careful with it because I’m scared of scratching it

It’s good for a budget cube, just in my opinion it doesn’t compete at all with my £25+ cubes like other people say