• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What 3x3 alg set do you want improved, optimized, or generated?

N's-cvt

Over the years I have learned many algorithms and learned to use a couple generators, specifically for 3x3, so because I want to use that knowledge but ran out of ideas on what to do I'm asking you, what 3x3 algorithm set do you want improved, optimized, or even generated? Any method, any idea, however I am requesting it is not some alg set in the thousands like 1LLL or OLS.

Hazel

Premium Member
ZBLL has improved so so much over the years, but I have no doubt there's still tons of room for improvement. If/when the algs are as optimized as PLL algs are now, ZBLL will likely be an alg set that top-tier cubers are expected to know, and will give a big advantage.

Speaking of PLL, I still feel like PLL has a lot of room for improvement. Thirty years from now (or likely much less), I wouldn't be surprised if we've found superior replacements for more than 40-50% of the current "best" PLL algorithms (assuming we still use CFOP and that PLL is still necessary).

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Sorry, @Cubingcubecuber and I are already going to gen HKPLLs, I'll be genning them after I take care of Waterman CLL.

Translation: Cubingcubecuber is going to do a bunch of work and gen HKPLL but I'm going to watch and post on my blog about all the work I'm doing

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Personally, I think TTLL, Tripod, and OLL plus a flipped F2L edge algset would be good as CFOP continues to develop and people learn more and more algs. Plus these algs could mutually benefit ZZ, so they aren't locked to being useful to only one method.

Also here's my hot-take: HKPLL isn't worth spending time on. Here's why
1. HKPLL is pretty much method locked to being useful only to HK users and plenty of alternatives to using HKPLL exist.
2. The better (IMO) version of HK is:

EOArrow with the missing cross edge on DR
3 F2L Pairs
Alg to solve last pair plus DR
ZBLL

The time would be better spent optimizing ZBLL IMO.

Personally, I think TTLL, Tripod, and OLL plus a flipped F2L edge algset would be good as CFOP continues to develop and people learn more and more algs. Plus these algs could mutually benefit ZZ, so they aren't locked to being useful to only one method.

1. HKPLL is pretty much method locked to being useful only to HK users and plenty of alternatives to using HKPLL exist.

3 F2L Pairs
ZBLL

HKPLL isn't great, but I want to gen them because they're not complete.

N's-cvt

3 F2L Pairs
ZBLL

I like your ideas, I've been optimizing TTLL for 2 years now and I'm working on my version 5 alg spreadsheet, I think there are some good stuff in it. Tripod for CFOP or ZZ, also is this F2L insertions preserving the tripod or is this a LL thing with OLL's and COLL's involving the tripod?
OLL plus a flipped F2L edge has 57 OLL's x 4 possible F2L unoriented edges x 4 becuase every unoriented edge must be in a pair so that influences the OLL = 912 algs, I don't think that would be something many people would learn IMO.
I like the ZBLL idea the most because it is something that will benefit many people, applies to many methods, and is developed enough to have some of the heavy lifting done for me such as images for all the cases. I think I will start with the ZZLL's since it is an algset I've tried learning but the algs were not that great when I tried and maybe move on to ZBLL from there.
HKPLL I agree with what you're saying on that topic. I dont think I'll be generating HKPLL soon as there is nothing to go on and I'm not that good with cube thoery to come up with all the possible permutations of edges, so if someone had images for all the cases I would be more inclined to do that but as of right now I've searched and come up with nowhere to start from. So yeah maybe in a couple years I'll google search it, see what people have about it.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I like your ideas, I've been optimizing TTLL for 2 years now and I'm working on my version 5 alg spreadsheet, I think there are some good stuff in it. Tripod for CFOP or ZZ, also is this F2L insertions preserving the tripod or is this a LL thing with OLL's and COLL's involving the tripod?
OLL plus a flipped F2L edge has 57 OLL's x 4 possible F2L unoriented edges x 4 becuase every unoriented edge must be in a pair so that influences the OLL = 912 algs, I don't think that would be something many people would learn IMO.
I like the ZBLL idea the most because it is something that will benefit many people, applies to many methods, and is developed enough to have some of the heavy lifting done for me such as images for all the cases. I think I will start with the ZZLL's since it is an algset I've tried learning but the algs were not that great when I tried and maybe move on to ZBLL from there.
HKPLL I agree with what you're saying on that topic. I dont think I'll be generating HKPLL soon as there is nothing to go on and I'm not that good with cube thoery to come up with all the possible permutations of edges, so if someone had images for all the cases I would be more inclined to do that but as of right now I've searched and come up with nowhere to start from. So yeah maybe in a couple years I'll google search it, see what people have about it.
As far as OLL plus Misoriented F2L, I meant an algset where only 1 F2L pair has a flipped edge as there are many times where I've noticed a really easy pair where the edge is flipped or sometimes is already solved in the slot, so having a set of OLL that would also flip 1 F2L edge in a specific slot could be nice to take advantage of lucky cases. The main concern I would have with this is just how nice the algs would end up speed-wise.

Edit: Also, would you mind linking me your TTLL Algs? I've experimented with making some algs of my own but got really busy through this recent spring semester.