• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

We've been saying this wrong the whole time?

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
According to Lars Petrus it is pronounced soon-ay as he named the cases after traditional names from his home country (this also explains bruno, niklas etc) but as the majority of the people who learned it did via text and were english speaking primarily they just pronounced it the way they read it (ie soon). As such, it isn't really wrong to call it sune as the term in cubing now has more association with the algorithm rather than the name.

EntireTV

According to Lars Petrus it is pronounced soon-ay as he named the cases after traditional names from his home country (this also explains bruno, niklas etc) but as the majority of the people who learned it did via text and were english speaking primarily they just pronounced it the way they read it (ie soon). As such, it isn't really wrong to call it sune as the term in cubing now has more association with the algorithm rather than the name.

Yeah I get it. I was just wondering if anyone still called it soonay any more

vm70

@EntireTV, thanks for mentioning me! I'm flattered.
@shadowslice e thanks for the explanation.

I still pronounce it as "soo-nay", but I'm the only one I know who pronounces it that way. Everyone I know who cubes pronounces it as "soon".

I also saw that Sune can be "split" into two small triggers, Su (R U R' U) and Ne (R U2 R'). Su + Ne = Sune.

In case if I ever change my signature, it reads / once read:
YuHu, I solved a Megaminx! This opens up a Galaxy of opportunities; I can be an X-Man!
Has anybody else noticed the fact that "Sune" is actually pronounced "soo-nay" and not "soon"? I'm not kidding, look it up.