• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Weekly Competition Overall Scoring Rules

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Not to begin with but that's an alternative. You could get as many "lottery tickets" as events you
compete in, regardless of result. But I don't know if that is better.
It's probably not better.
Some people don't have access to certain puzzles, such as 6-7, clock or kilominx, and it wouldn't be quite fair to give people with more money/experience a better chance at winning.

WCA
2017BATT02
Hello! I'm brand new here. Do I need a Stackmat to compete here? I know it said official WCA regs so I wasn't sure. I just use a phone timer for my at home solves. Also, when they say random competitor, does that have anything to do with the times or is it truly random? Thanks.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Hello! I'm brand new here. Do I need a Stackmat to compete here? I know it said official WCA regs so I wasn't sure. I just use a phone timer for my at home solves. Also, when they say random competitor, does that have anything to do with the times or is it truly random? Thanks.

If you need a stackmat then I've been doing it wrong for over a year. Doesn't mean I haven't been doing it wrong, just not everybody uses one.

MatsBergsten

Premium Member
WCA
2008BERG04
Message to all who cannot login at the competition site.

Try now, I have fixed the program (I think ;)). If you still cannot login
please mail me (mats.bergsten at gmail.com) or message me here in the Forum!

(You may well mail me also if you succeed so I know that :))

GarethBert11

WCA
2017PURB01
Well, I don't think so. I don't even have a stackmat lol :p

xyzzy

With FMC now being held in a mo3 format, is it still 10 points for participating? Maybe it should changed to be like 3BLD/4BLD/5BLD: 10 points if you have at least one success, or three legitimate DNFs.

Or maybe the participation points should scale with the number of successful attempts? But then you'd have people gaming the system with three crappy 60-move CFOP solves that take only a few minutes to write out, netting them over twice as many points as a successful 7BLD solve…

My pet idea is to have a two-tiered system of points for FMC:
each success: +4 points
each solve that is at most N moves long: +4 points
sympathy points if you get all DNFs: also 4 points I guess

N = 40 is probably reasonable. Even beginners should be able to get ≤40-move solutions half of the time if they spend the whole hour on the attempt. (Experienced FMCers wouldn't have any trouble finding sub-40 solutions in 15 minutes, but chances are, they probably would do a proper attempt instead of a rushed attempt anyway.) Under this system, an experienced FMCer would get 24 points after spending three hours on all three attempts, while someone just farming points would get 12 points in ten minutes. Still sounds a bit unfair, but the current system was even worse in the past years, with many people submitting ≥50-move solutions that probably took only two minutes to write, while getting 10 participation points.

Last edited:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
As I mentioned elsewhere, I haven't figured out how to handle the FMC mean of 3 points. I appreciate the suggestion. But as I also mentioned, it seems like participation points aren't really worth that much anymore anyway, so I'm not sure how important it really is. If we want participation points to make a big difference, we probably need to overhaul the entire points system.

As I'm not inclined to overhaul the points system right now (still recovering from this year's changes), I rather like the idea of just using your pet idea. Any objections from anyone else? Any alternative suggestions?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sketch of an alternative suggestion (for the whole scoring system, not just FMC): half of your score is kinch-style and half of your score is participation points, each scaled to be out of 50.
Wow, that's nice - it would put things back where participation points would be worth a lot of the total, like it was back in the early years, and it would be immune to increases in competitor numbers. I like it, but I wonder how others feel?

Any opinions? Discussion on this thought is welcome.

MatsBergsten

Premium Member
WCA
2008BERG04
I'm mostly for it. With the increase in number of competitors the most popular events
matters so much more than others. Being among the best in 3x3 is worth more than
winning all bld events toghether.

On the other hand I think that 3x3 should matter more than feet or 7BLD. But if you took
the rank and scaled with the square root of number of competitors so the growth in
points for an event is not linear but grows more slowly it would perhaps be better.

Kinch scores may be most fair in a way, on the other hand the place in an event does not
matter at all any longer. I still think it is fun to beat some people in an event (no one has
near the number of times coming last in events as I have so I share that joy freely :))