• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

WCA has now banned stickerless cubes for BLD. Thoughts?

HEART

WCA
2009DAVI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Official WCA statement

What do you think? They say it helps memorize faster, does it? I find the idea absurd. It's really annoying that they are no banned, especially for people that have a lot of them for mBLD. Going by this logic, i could just have very big stickers on my cube covering all the plastic, would that mean my cube should be illegal?

I really would like to see this repealed.

edit: Yes i know i typed in the title. Supposed to be "now" not "no".

Last edited:

AlexByard

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, i have used both for my BLD solving, and to be fair I believe the stickers help me memo faster... This is just quite stupid. very stupid.

DrKorbin

WCA
2011GRIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
They say it helps memorize faster, does it? I find the idea absurd.
Are you a good blindfold solver? You just think it is absurd or you've done many attempts with stickerless cube and it didn't help you?
Because Noahaha did and it helped him.
Going by this logic, i could just have very big stickers on my cube covering all the plastic, would that mean my cube should be illegal?
3h) No modifications are allowed that enhance the basic concept of a puzzle. Some examples of enhancing the basic concept are: new moves are possible, normal moves are impossible, more pieces are visible, colours on the backside of the puzzle are visible, moves are done automatically, more or other solved states.

So if your cube violates this rule it won't be legal.
I really would like to see this repealed.
Where were you two months ago when WRC announced these cubes to be banned sooner or later? You could argue in this thread. Now I think it is a bit late.

moralsh

WCA
2013MORA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I find it really unfair for one reason not mentioned here, many MBLDers may have to re-sticker 20 or 30 cubes very often, which I think is a PITA.

I personally think that the advantage is negligible, but this has been discussed to death and WCA has stated their reasons many times.

HEART

WCA
2009DAVI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
3h) No modifications are allowed that enhance the basic concept of a puzzle. Some examples of enhancing the basic concept are: new moves are possible, normal moves are impossible, more pieces are visible, colours on the backside of the puzzle are visible, moves are done automatically, more or other solved states.

So if your cube violates this rule it won't be legal.

More pieces wouldn't be visible, same ammount of stickers would be visible as before. Eastsheen stickers leave almost no plastic on the edges of the 4x4 and 5x5 cubes, should they be banned?

Also, i didn't start BLD solving untill about a month ago, so there's where i was when most of this went down.

I average around 2:30 during BLD, but i have picked up stickerless cubes before, and i find them really... disorienting for my memo, perhaps because I wasn't used to it. Same logic applies though if i just had bigger stickers, similar to eastsheen.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can complain as much as you want about this decision, but it had to be made. Stickerless should be allowed for everything or nothing, and honestly it's a lot easier to remove them from BLD than to add them in to everything else.

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Good decision, it's really weird they would be allowed for some events but not allowed for others. Theoretically you could still get an advantage if you just do a small turn that disaligns the layers but not counts as a full move: you could see the colour of the piece from the side then. Of course this is negligible. As a matter of fact I'd like to have them legal for ALL events, but it's better to ban them for all events than only for some.

For those with many of them and doing multiblind: if you have 6 you can just rebuild to 6 legal cubes of just 1 colour of plastic.

HEART

WCA
2009DAVI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
While consistency is nice, the reason for banning them in other events besides BLD becomes void when it enters BLD. They're banned also because when a layer is turned, you can see the other color of pieces because the way the pieces are molded and colored. But if you're bindfolded, it doesn't matter.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Credit to Yohei Suzuki:

1. Prepare 6 6-color stickerless cubes.
2. Disassemble all 6 cubes.
3. Gather the same colors.
4. Assemble!!
5. Get 6 normal body cubes!! Red body, white body...

musicninja17

WCA
2010FISK01
There really could be a rule about, you know, since you can't make turns on the cube during BLD memo, the being able to see more sides thing is NULL.