• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

WCA 2016 Regulation Change Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This spamthread is completely pointless.

Also, it was decided recently that nothing will change with feet, so no, it won't be removed, nor made to average of 5.

And middle slices will not be made +2. More likely +2 for misalignment will be removed entirely, but the WCA Board don't yet have the courage to implement it.

AlexMaass

WCA
2011MAAS01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Also, it was decided recently that nothing will change with feet, so no, it won't be removed, nor made to average of 5.

And middle slices will not be made +2. More likely +2 for misalignment will be removed entirely, but the WCA Board don't yet have the courage to implement it.
When/where was this decided?

I'd be quite pissed if they removed +2 (I definitely wouldn't be the only one). I actually do think they should implement +2 for middle slices.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I wouldn't say "completely pointless".

But to anyone participating in this thread, please note that simply stating your opinion doesn't help very much. A single +1 doesn't really tell us anything, either.
Some things you can do to make a better case:

• Give objective arguments in favor of a change.
  • Address arguments against the change.
  • Give *concrete* evidence about how many competitors would be positively affected by the change. (A poll helps, but the speedsolving.com population is biased to English-speaking cubers and Americans in particular.)
  • Don't just randomly suggest new events. Very few events make for good, serious ideas.
  • If you are serious about a particular idea, give it a separate thread with a focused discussion.

That said, you're welcome to throw out random half-baked ideas. But don't be surprised if they get ignored.

Jaysammey777

WCA
2010AMBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
  • Give *concrete* evidence about how many competitors would be positively affected by the change. (A poll helps, but the speedsolving.com population is biased to English-speaking cubers and Americans in particular.)

+1, removing of an event literally doesn't help anyone, 4bld 5bld mo3 are already a thing that are kept on a seperate wca page, we are at this skill level as a community and it should be reconfirmed for those who have achieved his accomplishment.

But at the same time this mindset wouldn't remove +2 which is morally right IMO, but I would rather being it competitors than severely hurting others by removing an event, that's just to drastic and sad at this point in time.

ryanj92

WCA
2012JONE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
people who think that a slice move away should be +2: do you think inner slices (a single slice, or multiple adjacent slices) on 4-7 should be +2 also? and also for OH and feet, where a slice move no longer 'feels' like a single move? i'm curious :)

(also, imagine the implications of a cube off by an M2 now being valid for BLD :p)

Tim Reynolds

Premium Member
WCA
2005REYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
if a cube pops, you should get an extra attempt (accidents happen, my dad's idea, not mine)
Article 5:
regulations said:
In 'Average of 5' or 'Mean of 3' rounds solves with a puzzle defect may be exchanged by an extra attempt, depending on the announcement for the competition. There may be maximum 1 extra attempt per round.
Oops, sorry, that was the 2005 regulations I was looking at.

More seriously, that was tried and gotten rid of. For one thing, people realized that, even if popping isn't intentional, it's your own fault if you can't control your cube. And then people started making their cubes less poppy, and people got used to it. Also, yeah, the potential for abuse is really high. I can't remember any specific incidents where this happened as I wasn't a delegate back then, but I'm sure there would be incidents every week if we brought back pops.

forget about cutoff times (again, my dad's idea, he thinks that you should be able to finish your average no matter how badly you do, but THE SCHEDULE. OH MY, THE SCHEDULE WILL BE SO OFF).

Most venues don't really like it if you ask them to stay 3 hours late, so keeping to the schedule kinda matters.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As far as new events go, I'm on the minority that thinks we should have more. TeamBLD, some cuboids, and maybe a shape-mod or two would be pretty nice, just to name a few basic ones.

As far as actual regulation changes go, I agree that 4BLD and 5BLD means should be recognized. Why are they not? It's just about the most impressive thing possible in cubing, and the people who do it aren't even officially acknowledged.

I feel like they should change the requirements for scramble length as well. The fact that it is possible (albeit insanely unlikely) to get a 2 move 3x3 scramble in competition just seems wrong, especially because more simple events like 2x2 and Pyraminx require 4 and 6 moves respectively. I would argue that a 2 move scramble on 7x7 is MUCH more noticeable (even obvious to non-cubers) than a 2 move scramble on 2x2 (which is still easily noticeable, but not as much). It just seems wrong then that a 2 move scramble on 3-7 is allowed, yet 4 moves is necessary for 2x2. It just seems like reverse logic to me. Sure, it's unlikely, but imagine if it happened. The world records would become pointless.

That's about it. The WCA does seem to know what they're doing. :p

mitch1234

WCA
2010LANE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I haven't been on the forums in a while so seeing the first few pages of this thread was a horrible horrible read.

I would like to suggest a regulation about spectators. At US Nationals 2015 the amount of spectators greatly out numbered the competitors. During 3x3 and one handed events I had an extremely difficult time just getting to the competing area. Now this might have just been a natural because of the set up but I think if we can get parents/ spectators to sit down that would reduce competitor anxiety and congestion for competitors to walk.

Here is the suggestion: If spectators are not following regulations with a minimum distance of 1.5 meters then the delegate can order all spectators to be seated and if they stand in front of a table to spectate a competitor after the delegate has given the warning for spectators to only sit then they will be asked to leave the venue.

Parents that encourage their son/daughters hobby are great, but as an organizer I get very angry when parents are standing right in front of the table filming their child of a large ipad.

I know this is kind of a strange suggestion but I found the spectator area at nationals to be a hazard and there should be something done about it to avoid things like that in the future.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
+1, removing of an event literally doesn't help anyone, 4bld 5bld mo3 are already a thing that are kept on a seperate wca page, we are at this skill level as a community and it should be reconfirmed for those who have achieved his accomplishment.

But at the same time this mindset wouldn't remove +2 which is morally right IMO, but I would rather being it competitors than severely hurting others by removing an event, that's just to drastic and sad at this point in time.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean to imply that every change needs to benefit someone directly because they like it.
Removing events can help the WCA focus on the best set of events. (Although I personally don't believe we need to remove any current event. *Maybe* feet, but there's still a small core of people who take it seriously.)
And I personally believe removing +2 alignments is the right thing to do, because it's better for everyone. But that's not a discussion to be had here.

Basically, don't just say "I like this change". Explain why other should like it.

Anyhow, please do keep +1 and sarcastic posts off threads in the Regulations subforum.

Status
Not open for further replies.