• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

WANTED: New Dedge Flip Algorithm!

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
qqwref2
cmowla: Look up some group theory please before you dig yourself any deeper into this hole. The definition of odd and even permutations are quite well-defined and any inconsistency you find will be in your own logic, not in the permutation concept itself.

reThinking: why are you calling it "OLDlucasparity™"?

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
4EverTrying
cmowla: Look up some group theory please before you dig yourself any deeper into this hole. The definition of odd and even permutations are quite well-defined and any inconsistency you find will be in your own logic, not in the permutation concept itself.
I know the difference between odd and even permutations. If there are an odd number of inversions, then it is an odd permutation and vice versa.

I even wrote a ti-83 plus program that solves the LL edges on a 4X4X4 (type in the sequence of the pieces and it returns the moves to solve the LL edges--assuming that the corners are solved already, the program finishes solving the cube).

Last edited:

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
4EverTrying
I know the difference between odd and even permutations. If there are an odd number of inversions, then it is an odd permutation and vice versa.
That's correct, so your problem is somewhere else. My money's currently on your understanding of "cycle".
If I am understanding the word "cycle" correctly now, does this mean that all 4 cycles are of odd permutations?

In other words, does "cycle" mean that the only way for the pieces to be swapped is all at once?

Last edited:

Lucas Garron

WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
LucasGarron
That's correct, so your problem is somewhere else. My money's currently on your understanding of "cycle".
If I am understanding the word "cycle" correctly now, does this mean that all 4 cycles are of odd permutations?
Close. They are odd permutations.

Tim Reynolds

Premium Member
WCA
2005REYN01
YouTube
timbreynolds

In other words, does "cycle" mean that the only way for the pieces to be swapped is all at once?
Yes. A 4-cycle must be of the form (a b c d). It cannot be (a b)(c d), or (a)(b c d). Thus any 4-cycle is an odd permutation.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
StefanPochmann
That's correct.

You can do it in several steps if you talk about the result. But mainly a cycle is a cycle.

The most common 4 cycle performed by speedcubers, r2 U2 r2 (Uu)2 r2 u2 is an even permutation cycle as well.
What you have here is not a 4-cyle but two 2-cycles.

Given a 4x4x4 cube with all of the 24 edge pieces paired into their 12 respective dedges. Let's just ignore for now, all of the corners and center pieces.

#1) Does anyone know of some simple even#(2,4,6,8,.....24)-cycle algs to permute these edge pieces, that will also maintain the dedge pairing?

#2) Can Acube, or CubeX be used to generate possible algs for this type of problem?

reThinker

EDIT: Can also be any COMBINATION of cycles that permute these edges, as long as the total number of these even cycles is ODD.

Last edited:

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
4EverTrying
Does anyone know what the briefest algorithm known to man is for the diagonal winged edge swap (pure form) in BQTM? (See sketch below).

I just need to know how many BQTM it is, not the algorithm itself or any other move measurements...

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the briefest algorithm known to man is for the diagonal winged edge swap (pure form) in BQTM? (See sketch below).

I just need to know how many BQTM it is, not the algorithm itself or any other move measurements...

The answer is 2.

reThinker

me would likey know the answer too.

I bet you would too. Checked out your sandwhich pages, http://rachmaninovian.webs.com/ This is becoming one of the best (clearest, and most complete) method descriptions for 4x4x4 (5x5x5). The page showing last dedge pair algs was especially interesting, and I saw that you tapped into many of the known good algs for doing those. I have a different method for solving 4x4x4 though, and would like to find better ways to do even-cycle edge perms. Would you likey know the answer for this previous post too?
http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showpost.php?p=294116&postcount=90

reThinker