• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Want to speedcube

magnus914

Hey I got my first cube a few months ago and now ive gotten really into them and want to become a speedcuber. My solves takes about one minute can i know the best way to get faster or the best method? Last what is the best cube for a beginner

Dane man

Most cubers use CFOP/Fridrich.

I think the most intuitive is Roux.

ZZ is kinda cool, but is confusing and takes a ton of practice to get good at.

The method I use is my own BLL that I made up before the internet could teach me better. I don't recommend it. It's a trap.

So... Roux. Go with Roux. It's fun, fast, and makes a ton of sense.

Wylie28

WCA
2014FORI01
Moyu (the best speedcube company) just released a new cube called the guanlong, its $4 on the more expensive stores like thecubicle.us and is actually really good, especially for begginers. Although I do recommend just getting the best cubes on the market, the Aolong V2 or Weilong, (The aolong is slightly slower but coner-cuts a lot better so I recommend it) they might seem a bit fast at first but you will quickly get used to them and you wont have to buy a better cube down the road> https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/...-to-Get-Faster-using-the-Fridrich-CFOP-Method follow this guide if you want to go down the CFOP road (which you should because all the World Records are with CFOP)

Last edited:
WCA
2012BASK02
Moyu (the best speedcube company)

Who said MoYu was the best speedcube company? Is there some kind of measurement of how good a cube is?

which you should because all the World Records are with CFOP

He should choose whichever method appeals to him. There are many speedcubers who use Roux that are sub-8, even sub-7.

tpt8899

Ok a few different methods, but I'll give my background

I started with CFOP until I was around 20 seconds. I won't necessarily call it a good decision in my opinion to start with CFOP. anyway, I started learning ZZ for OH, and got sub-20 on it with 2H relatively quickly. I then switched to Roux...

Summary: I believe that CFOP is well, to say the least, Overused, as well as overrated. ZZ is GREAT for OH solving. For 2H, Definitely do Roux. No question. I believe that it has the most potential, and it also already has fast solvers (Alex Lau, Austion moore, Etc etc etc.)

OH AND DO NOT! I REPEAT DO NOT LEARN CFOP BECAUSE ALL WORLD RECORDS ARE MADE BY IT. THERE WORLD-RECORD CALIBER ROUX USERS AS I HAVE STATED ABOVE. IT HAS THE RECORDS BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN AROUND FOR A LOT LONGER PERIOD OF TIME IN COMPARISON TO CFOP.

Please. Please, for the love of God, don't fall into the trap that I myself fell into. Please. I am BEGGING you. Please. Only learn CFOP If the style fits you.

Here are just a bit of the advantages of Roux vs CFOP

1. It is MUCH more efficient vs CFOP.
2. When making the first two blocks, it is much more flexible vs CFOP as you are not limited to a certain ammount of moves (Like in the first block, you, if you pair something up correctly, can insert using only a F or B move. You can also use M moves to pair up, and you can make the block in a multitude of places as in you can make the blocks in the Left, Back side, or Left Up side, etc. when in CFOP you will be making it on the down side).
3. M MOVES ARE AWESOME!

Last edited:

brian724080

Choose whichever method you find interesting, and I think that CFOP is overused and overrated. Look in signature to find a comparison of methods.

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Who said MoYu was the best speedcube company? Is there some kind of measurement of how good a cube is?

He should choose whichever method appeals to him. There are many speedcubers who use Roux that are sub-8, even sub-7.
Can you think of a better speedcubing company than Moyu? No. Yeah, he should experiment with different methods. While CFOP has the most records, he is most likely not going for a WR and should go for whichever he likes.

tpt8899

Can you think of a better speedcubing company than Moyu? No. Yeah, he should experiment with different methods. While CFOP has the most records, he is most likely not going for a WR and should go for whichever he likes.

Agreed. Choose whichever you like - Waterman, heisse, an obsecure one, Petrus, whatever. Choose it.

Moyu IS and probably will stay as the top of the cubing industry for a while. People still use Dayan cubes because of the feel, or Gans cubes, but most people will use Moyu cubes.

Artic

LOL...funny how desperate some Roux users are to spread their method.

Anyway, I'd say go with CFOP. All the world records use that method, it's the easiest to learn after the beginner method, and if you ever want to solve bigger cubes like 4x4, 5x5, then it will help you the most. It's basically impossible to use Roux on bigger cubes, which is why no one uses that method on 4x4, 5x5 etc

tpt8899

Again. The world records are because the method has been out there longer. And no, We roux users are NOT desperate. We are methodical. Roux can also be used as a beginners method. Do what you think is right. Blockbuilding is more intuitive, thus, Petrus, ZZ, and Roux are more intuitive than CFOP, but require a bit more thinking.

WCA
2012BASK02
LOL...funny how desperate some Roux users are to spread their method.

Anyway, I'd say go with CFOP. All the world records use that method, it's the easiest to learn after the beginner method, and if you ever want to solve bigger cubes like 4x4, 5x5, then it will help you the most. It's basically impossible to use Roux on bigger cubes, which is why no one uses that method on 4x4, 5x5 etc

A. I'm not a roux user, but don't go roux-hatin' please. You can dislike roux all you want but try not to offend roux users.

B. The majority of solving bigger cubes is the centers+edges, so the final method you use for the 3x3 stage is pretty much irrelevant(other than the fact that roux has those sexy M slices, so yes, it would be painful on bigger cubes.).

C. Ah... the old "ooh feliks and mats use it, it must be the best!" People should use the method that suits them. Not the method that most people use.

EDIT: Please don't turn this into a bickerfest. I proclaim this argument ended here.

tpt8899

A. I'm not a roux user, but don't go roux-hatin' please. You can dislike roux all you want but try not to offend roux users.

B. The majority of solving bigger cubes is the centers+edges, so the final method you use for the 3x3 stage is pretty much irrelevant(other than the fact that roux has those sexy M slices, so yes, it would be painful on bigger cubes.).

C. Ah... the old "ooh feliks and mats use it, it must be the best!" People should use the method that suits them. Not the method that most people use.

EDIT: Please don't turn this into a bickerfest. I proclaim this argument ended here.

Thank you... This post basically sums it up.

TomTom

I would suggest trying out all methods. Early on, I figured out that blockbuilding was not for me, so i stuck with CFOP. It's all about what feels good for you to do, and if you do get good with one method, and can't get better for a few months, try a different method, it may help.

maps600

WCA
2013HELM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok a few different methods, but I'll give my background

I started with CFOP until I was around 20 seconds. I won't necessarily call it a good decision in my opinion to start with CFOP. anyway, I started learning ZZ for OH, and got sub-20 on it with 2H relatively quickly. I then switched to Roux...

Summary: I believe that CFOP is well, to say the least, Overused, as well as overrated. ZZ is GREAT for OH solving. For 2H, Definitely do Roux. No question. I believe that it has the most potential, and it also already has fast solvers (Alex Lau, Austion moore, Etc etc etc.)

OH AND DO NOT! I REPEAT DO NOT LEARN CFOP BECAUSE ALL WORLD RECORDS ARE MADE BY IT. THERE WORLD-RECORD CALIBER ROUX USERS AS I HAVE STATED ABOVE. IT HAS THE RECORDS BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN AROUND FOR A LOT LONGER PERIOD OF TIME IN COMPARISON TO CFOP.

Please. Please, for the love of God, don't fall into the trap that I myself fell into. Please. I am BEGGING you. Please. Only learn CFOP If the style fits you.

Here are just a bit of the advantages of Roux vs CFOP

1. It is MUCH more efficient vs CFOP.
2. When making the first two blocks, it is much more flexible vs CFOP as you are not limited to a certain ammount of moves (Like in the first block, you, if you pair something up correctly, can insert using only a F or B move. You can also use M moves to pair up, and you can make the block in a multitude of places as in you can make the blocks in the Left, Back side, or Left Up side, etc. when in CFOP you will be making it on the down side).
3. M MOVES ARE AWESOME!

Very nicely said. I couldn't have done it better