• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

V-Cubes!

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok.... i ahte to say it, but the 6x6 is just horrible. During my first solve, I had a corner twist (wtf?!?!) and then stopped. I "fixed" it but then while slowly solving the rest (PLL parity) a 1/4 of the cube just fell out........ I think I knocked loose one of the little inside tabs, but still, it was horrible. I really don't like it at all. Also... on my first 7x7, i sorta failed. :(

If that's true generically, BLD is going to be terrible on it! I don't remember Chris saying anything about fear with pops while solving, and someone else mentioned the prototypes didn't have that problem, so something must be different about the production puzzles vs. the prototypes. I hope we can figure out a mod to fix them.

My puzzles have been delivered to my house (the box is still unopened); hopefully I'll try my first 7x7x7 BLD tonight around 10:00.

cmv0116

Yes, mine just got delivered. The 5x5 is really good. Makes me wish that I had bought the others.

Ton

WCA
2003DENN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I hope to maybe do a 6 or/and 7 event at Twents :D, but I hope indeed I have the cubes before Czech so I can bring them :)

According to the WCA rules:
New official events may be added each calendar year, and existing official events may be removed.
9e1) The decision to add or remove an event is made by the WCA Board.
9e2) The proposal to add an event is based on a poll about the popularity of new events. The poll is held each calendar year in January and February, on the forum of the WCA website.
9e3) The proposal to remove an event is done by selecting the event with a low number of competitors in the previous calendar year. The proposal is made each calendar year in February, on the forum of the WCA website.

So the WCA could begin a poll on the WCA site, we have to ask for it -including sugestions for timelimits- on the WCA site to get 6x6 and/or 7x7 event sooner else it will not until after Feb next year for a decision is made.

Ton

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I hope to maybe do a 6 or/and 7 event at Twents :D, but I hope indeed I have the cubes before Czech so I can bring them :)

According to the WCA rules:
New official events may be added each calendar year, and existing official events may be removed.
9e1) The decision to add or remove an event is made by the WCA Board.
9e2) The proposal to add an event is based on a poll about the popularity of new events. The poll is held each calendar year in January and February, on the forum of the WCA website.
9e3) The proposal to remove an event is done by selecting the event with a low number of competitors in the previous calendar year. The proposal is made each calendar year in February, on the forum of the WCA website.

So the WCA could begin a poll on the WCA site, we have to ask for it -including sugestions for timelimits- on the WCA site to get 6x6 and/or 7x7 event sooner else it will not until after Feb next year for a decision is made.

Ton
Good idea. I will create a topic on it over there now. Here is the topic.

Last edited:

Jason Baum

WCA
2005BAUM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok.... i ahte to say it, but the 6x6 is just horrible. During my first solve, I had a corner twist (wtf?!?!) and then stopped. I "fixed" it but then while slowly solving the rest (PLL parity) a 1/4 of the cube just fell out........ I think I knocked loose one of the little inside tabs, but still, it was horrible. I really don't like it at all. Also... on my first 7x7, i sorta failed. :(
I hate to say it too, but I have to agree. I was so excited when my 6x6x6 got delivered today, but it has popped three times on me and I've only done four solves. It also will sometimes completely lock up for no reason, like you can't turn the layer at all. I took mine apart, lubed all the pieces, and loosened the screws a little bit, but it still feels pretty bad. I really hope the 7x7x7 is better, because this is really disappointing.

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
OK... as an update:

5x5: not that great. As of now, I still prefer my mefferts.
6x6: after some lubing and some solves, I've come to be able to control it. My best time is 4:19 OP :) the 3x3 stage takes 30+ seconds though :( It's still by far the worst of the 3, but I hope it gets better.
7x7: feels really nice. I wish it was a little looser, but I'm expecting it to loosen with time. Best time = 6:19. Michael Gottlieb has a sub 6 though :( Tomorrow night I'll lube it again and hope it gets nicer.

e_lee6o4

after hearing so many bad things about the 6x6x6, i really wish i got the 5x5x5 or 7x7x7 instead

Jason Baum

WCA
2005BAUM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really wouldn't recommend the 6x6x6 as anything more than a collectors item. I've tried to solve it over 10 times now, and it has popped EVERY SINGLE TIME. I haven't even gotten through a full solve yet without it popping. I really hope the other cubes are better...

Leviticus

I really wouldn't recommend the 6x6x6 as anything more than a collectors item. I've tried to solve it over 10 times now, and it has popped EVERY SINGLE TIME. I haven't even gotten through a full solve yet without it popping. I really hope the other cubes are better...

Yeah mines popped A LOT as well, Its annoying, especially when im about to finish it. Dont worry the 5x5 and 7x7 are way better.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm interested in hearing how people are lubing their V-cubes. What kind of lube, and how applied, and then how well did it work?

I thought it was interesting that the shipping notice they sent us with the tracking number had the message in it saying not to lube your cubes too much. I wonder what made them think to include that message.

SkateTracker

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm interested in hearing how people are lubing their V-cubes. What kind of lube, and how applied, and then how well did it work?

I'd like to know the same. I haven't ordered any yet, and will probably only order the 7x7 due to the fact that I'm happy with ES as my 5x5 for now and the 6x6 has gotten bad reviews.

But, yeah, what kind of lube? Because I use Jigaloo and I've heard that it melts some plastics, don't want to be fooling around with a $100 cube, haha.

Question for those with v-5x5's, how do you say it compares to ES? Better? Worse? Different?

Kenny

WCA
2008SCHM01
Without lubing it it gets broken in faster, thus it will wear out earlier so you'll have to buy another one :p. Yeah, I know, I'm mean.