• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

V-Cubes!

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Everyone who's cubes are in wilmington :p

According to my tracking they went through Wilmington, OH... I'm guessing that it's the main throughway for DHL, and they bring everything there. Either way, the lady at DHL said they would be delivered tomorrow, so I'm gonna be ready :)

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So now you both have different definitions for clockwise and counterclockwise oblique centers :p Can we have a short standardized name for them 'cause I hate typing "clockwise oblique centers". How about o+ centers and o- centers? :p

How about we name them "oblique centers" and name particular orbits by their notation names?

So I wouldn't say the "clockwise oblique centers" I would say the [l2 b1] centers. This means the centers that are interchangeable with [U l2 b1].

Does that make sense? Seems much easier to generalize to bigger cubes, because I can assure you that some of us will try 11x11x11 BLD ;-)

Chris

So now you both have different definitions for clockwise and counterclockwise oblique centers :p Can we have a short standardized name for them 'cause I hate typing "clockwise oblique centers". How about o+ centers and o- centers? :p

How about we name them "oblique centers" and name particular orbits by their notation names?

So I wouldn't say the "clockwise oblique centers" I would say the [l2 b1] centers. This means the centers that are interchangeable with [U l2 b1].

Does that make sense? Seems much easier to generalize to bigger cubes, because I can assure you that some of us will try 11x11x11 BLD ;-)

Chris

I actually like the notation of o+/o- centers even after not liking "oblique" too much. The shape of the letter seems to make perfect sense to me. The only problem is enforcing an intuitive distinction between the CW vs. CCW variety. I find something like [l2 b1] really confusing. This is a lot like a "right hand rule" convention in vector calculus... (and seen in certain places of physics and engineering)

And then I'm not sure how much you can generalize this concept. It'd be like coming up with a chart of "first cousins", "second cousins", "second cousins 3 times removed", etc... - even though there are established rules, very few people actually will know or need to know the naming conventions in the end.

Ultimately, we don't know how popular such big cubes will become, so we gotta be prepared. Although I would have assumed it would be a small community of about 50 cubers or so, if it wasn't for the huge number of orders on V-Cubes.

-Doug

RobinBloehm

WCA
2008BLOH02
did anyone try loosening the screws of the 5x5? is it worth doing it?
you can't, I've heard from VC that it's not an option yet..

Well you must have heard wrong or someting Erik cause look at David calvo's post earlier in this topic. the 5x5 is adjustable.

No it isn't, it's true that there screw-like things in the center pieces, but you can't use them to adjust the cube, they just spin without effect.

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
did anyone try loosening the screws of the 5x5? is it worth doing it?
you can't, I've heard from VC that it's not an option yet..

Well you must have heard wrong or someting Erik cause look at David calvo's post earlier in this topic. the 5x5 is adjustable.

No it isn't, it's true that there screw-like things in the center pieces, but you can't use them to adjust the cube, they just spin without effect.

Yes exactly like on my prototype 5x5 and I think also the same on Clancy's and Frank's cubes. It will be an option in the future though perhaps.
Maybe some puzzle builders can already make this for us? :)

YES, they shipped today! :)

I would really like some adjustable screws in mine. Erik, didn't your prototype get too loose because SOMEONE played with it excessively? ;)

cpt.Justice

WCA
2009HOVE01
Maybe it means you have to pay for the customs or something like that :/

Is the 6x6 worth buying? Its really expensive, and people say it aint really that good. Is there anyone out there who is happy with the quality of the 6x6 (compared to the quality of the 5x5 and 7x7)?
I'm considering to wait for the 6b version, when is it coming out? Will it be any better than the flat version?

If it wont, will the 8x8 be the worst cube yet?

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe it means you have to pay for the customs or something like that :/

Is the 6x6 worth buying? Its really expensive, and people say it aint really that good. Is there anyone out there who is happy with the quality of the 6x6 (compared to the quality of the 5x5 and 7x7)?
I'm considering to wait for the 6b version, when is it coming out? Will it be any better than the flat version?

If it wont, will the 8x8 be the worst cube yet?
Based on the info that is provided so far it seems that :

* It is likely that the pillowed 6x6x6 will be better.
* And the 8x8x8 will be pillowed so it won't be the worst cube yet

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok.... i ahte to say it, but the 6x6 is just horrible. During my first solve, I had a corner twist (wtf?!?!) and then stopped. I "fixed" it but then while slowly solving the rest (PLL parity) a 1/4 of the cube just fell out........ I think I knocked loose one of the little inside tabs, but still, it was horrible. I really don't like it at all. Also... on my first 7x7, i sorta failed. :(

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Which competition will do some unofficial solves ...for the 6x6 and 7x7?

I try to fit in a demo at the Czech Open 2008 for the 6x6 and 7x7, e.g in the break

Ton
so bring your 6x6 and 7x7 to the Czech Open for the demo

I hope to maybe do a 6 or/and 7 event at Twents :D, but I hope indeed I have the cubes before Czech so I can bring them :)