• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

US Nationals 2016 - July 29 - 31, Portland, Oregon

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes. As a 14 year old, in a middle class family, I'm expected to be able to just convince my parents to take me to almost literally the farthest part of the country. Also, How is having nats in Las Vegas (according to google maps it's a 6 hour 15 minute drive) in 2012 and 2013 plus worlds 2013 not within 8 hours?

I'm not saying Portland is a bad place to hold Nats, I'm just saying that the Mid west is also up for a turn. In a Country as big as the US, no place will work for every one (although being in the center most big city would help would it not? :p) And yes I, and many others have been sounding whiny. That's not a good thing.

And if we held nationals in the midwest, middle class families with younger cubers in the Pacific Northwest could say the exact same thing you're saying, and they haven't ever seen nationals in their area. It's unfortunate that we live in an expansive country, as we cannot pick a location that is easy to travel to for everyone. Even in the middle of the country, a strong majority of people will need to fly. The unfortunate reality is that regular nationals competitors should expect to fly or drive a somewhat long distance on most years, and I regret that we cannot do anything to change that fact. We did the best we could to limit travel expenses when you get here though - there's no need to rent a car to get to the venue from the airport with the shuttle and proximity to the light rail, as well as hosting this event at one of Portland's best value hotels in the summer. (For what its worth, I just did a quick search and found a round-trip fare from KC for under $300 for the week of nationals, which is fairly reasonable for flying )

I've done venue searches for a few cities in the midwest myself, and the ones I found were far more expensive and inaccessible than the venues I found in Portland. It's not a lack of trying to have a midwest nationals, but the stars just didn't align there the past few years.

uyneb2000

WCA
2011YUBE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Easy for you to say.

Hey, this is also coming from a guy who did go to Nats across the country because he wasn't hopeless and made the effort to try and go. Also, I think it's quite easy to say that a lot of people in this thread are being whiny.

Yes. As a 14 year old, in a middle class family, I'm expected to be able to just convince my parents to take me to almost literally the farthest part of the country.

I mean, considering thats what I did, if you wanna go to Nats. Then yes. Sorry.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
ur not expected to do anything. you dont have to go. gee whiz.

And if we held nationals in the midwest, middle class families with younger cubers in the Pacific Northwest could say the exact same thing you're saying, and they haven't ever seen nationals in their area. It's unfortunate that we live in an expansive country, as we cannot pick a location that is easy to travel to for everyone. Even in the middle of the country, a strong majority of people will need to fly. The unfortunate reality is that regular nationals competitors should expect to fly or drive a somewhat long distance on most years, and I regret that we cannot do anything to change that fact. We did the best we could to limit travel expenses when you get here though - there's no need to rent a car to get to the venue from the airport with the shuttle and proximity to the light rail, as well as hosting this event at one of Portland's best value hotels in the summer. (For what its worth, I just did a quick search and found a round-trip fare from KC for under $300 for the week of nationals, which is fairly reasonable for flying )

I've done venue searches for a few cities in the midwest myself, and the ones I found were far more expensive and inaccessible than the venues I found in Portland. It's not a lack of trying to have a midwest nationals, but the stars just didn't align there the past few years.

That comment was directed to Austin Reid who said to "Travel the country a bit" Like I said in the second bit of the post, I'm fine with Portland getting it, I'm just disappointed that KC didn't.

I edited my other post with a venue I found with not a lot of searching. I submitted a proposal so hopefully next year. I realize I've kinda sounded like a spoiled brat in the last couple of posts, and I'd like to apologize.

WCA
2013BARK01
k guys ima sweep nats unless faz comes then i'll only sweep half the events

lolno not if I do it first, I'm sub 12.5 right now but I will be sub 7.5 by nats and sub 1.5 on 2x2 globally

how much will registration cost? I kinda would like to have a rough idea how much money I will need to save so I can make up some convoluted plan. I'll probably be doing 2-7, pyra, skobe, sq1, mminx, fmc b/c why not, oh, and not clock oh pls no never clock

Jaysammey777

WCA
2010AMBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
lolno not if I do it first, I'm sub 12.5 right now but I will be sub 7.5 by nats and sub 1.5 on 2x2 globally

how much will registration cost? I kinda would like to have a rough idea how much money I will need to save so I can make up some convoluted plan. I'll probably be doing 2-7, pyra, skobe, sq1, mminx, fmc b/c why not, oh, and not clock oh pls no never clock

Registration cost is not the big money thing; hotel, transportation, etc are

nalralz

WCA
2014BRAI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I might be able to go!!! I just checked the WCA competition list and saw US nationals and checked here to see if there was a forum and there is. I taked to my parents and they are putting it in the calendar! Hope to see you guys there!

YouCubing

WCA
2015JOIN01
How about Gigaminx? That definitely isn't an extremely time consuming event that could screw up the whole schedule!

jk but seriously, 2x3x3 would be awesome :D

WCA
2013BARK01
i actually would be interested in that

yeah I was actually mostly serious, that would be a fun unofficial event! There aren't very many good algs though, but actually I think it should be made official, and then people will come up with methods and there will be more 2x3x3s released. So yeah, if Nats 2016 is a democracy then that is my vote. I also vote for 8 rounds of feet solving.

2x3x3 = only unofficial event I ever practice at all