• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

US Nationals 2016 - July 29 - 31, Portland, Oregon

Tim Reynolds

Premium Member
WCA
2005REYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Awesome!

But I'm laughing so hard right now. No feet? Woooooooooow lololol. Is it being removed? lol

We're choosing not to hold it this year. We have limited time and we're using that time on more popular events. I don't have any idea whether the WCA Board or WRC is planning to remove feet, but we're not planning on holding it.

Jaysammey777

WCA
2010AMBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
We're choosing not to hold it this year. We have limited time and we're using that time on more popular events. I don't have any idea whether the WCA Board or WRC is planning to remove feet, but we're not planning on holding it.

By that logic shouldn't y'all have eliminated 4bld and 5bld indstead, both are less popular and take more time than feet.

Edit: y'all also cut 6x6 cutoff by 30 seconds, which I'm not too happy about :p

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
By that logic shouldn't y'all have eliminated 4bld and 5bld indstead, both are less popular and take more time than feet.

Edit: y'all also cut 6x6 cutoff by 30 seconds, which I'm not too happy about :p

That's not exactly a fair comparison, as the barrier to entry is far greater for feet than 4BLD and 5BLD. The people who do feet at nats generally don't seem to care about the event, as evidenced in this thread:

Wait where am I going to do my annual round of feet?

Those who do 4BLD/5BLD had to necessarily put in a decent amount of practice and learning to compete in the event in the first place, and thus are more likely to care about the event than the average feet competitor. That's not to say that there aren't people who take feet seriously, but this just shows that comparing the number of competitors here isn't really a good comparison for popularity.

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's not exactly a fair comparison, as the barrier to entry is far greater for feet than 4BLD and 5BLD. The people who do feet at nats generally don't seem to care about the event, as evidenced in this thread:

Those who do 4BLD/5BLD had to necessarily put in a decent amount of practice and learning to compete in the event in the first place, and thus are more likely to care about the event than the average feet competitor. That's not to say that there aren't people who take feet seriously, but this just shows that comparing the number of competitors here isn't really a good comparison for popularity.

Why not just make the feet cutoffs very strict? if people are taking 10 or more minutes to solve a cube with their feet, just make the hard cutoff 3-4 minutes. any dedicated feet solver could likely solve a cube in much less time than that.