• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

US Nationals 2012 (Las Vegas)

Anthony

Professional Speedcuber
WCA
2008SEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Before the finals, I told Rowe and Anthony I thought it was odd NAR hadn't been broken yet?

Paraphrasing:
--
Andrew: I'm surprised that the 3x3 NAR has lasted so long.
Anthony: Well, I thought it would have been beaten too, but it's not *easy* to do.
Andrew: Yeah, but... there are quite a few people at the competition who get faster times than that at home fairly often.
Rowe: If it's so easy, why don't you just go beat it then?

*5 minutes after Ricci leaves the room Rowe, Austin, Kevin and myself here thunderous applause from across the hall*

Austin: Just an 8, you know.
Kevin: Probably just a nine, no one else has got a sub 10 yet, that's all.
Anthony and Rowe: haha.
--

Boss. Congrats. Work on those bicep curls though, kid.

Andrew Ricci

Anonymity is for Nubs
WCA
2010RICC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Paraphrasing:
--
Anthony: Well, I thought it would have been beaten too, but it's not *easy* to do.
Andrew: Yeah, but... there are quite a few people at the competition who get faster times than that at home fairly often.

*5 minutes after Ricci leaves the room Rowe, Austin, Kevin and myself here thunderous applause from across the hall*

--

That's hilarious. :D

Thanks, but I'll leave actually having upper body strength to you. <3

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Paraphrasing:
--

--

Haha, that's awesome. We knew everyone in the side room must have heard that and were wondering what they were thinking.

Rubiksboy1

Faster than the 0.11 or the 1.58? :)
Actually, I don't know if there was a faster at that comp...

Mikel

Premium Member
WCA
2011MIKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

If there's a faster official 2x2 solve at the comp, tell me.

Thanks Calvin <3333

I'm not trying to troll, but shouldn't it have been a DNF?

A6b2) If the timer stops earlier than the end of the solve, and the timer shows 0.06 or higher then the solve is disqualified, unless the competitor can show evidence that the timer was malfunctioning.

Last edited by a moderator:

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
I'm not sure how fine this is regulations-wise, but it seemed to me as though judges were being more lenient at that particular timer, because the light on that particular timer didn't work (this was one of the new timers), causing a fair amount of confusion with some people. I personally saw a similar thing happen to a few different people, and I wasn't paying all that much attention during the time that I wasn't up there myself.

EDIT: I guess this could fall under that 'unless the timer was malfunctioning' clause

Last edited:

cubernya

Premium Member
I'm not trying to troll, but shouldn't it have been a DNF?

A6b2) If the timer stops earlier than the end of the solve, and the timer shows 0.06 or higher then the solve is disqualified, unless the competitor can show evidence that the timer was malfunctioning.

No. Since it was the pro timer, there was lots of leniency towards the timer screwing up. Of course, most judges (and maybe even some delegates) wouldn't even care if something like that happened on normal timers, since you never did any turns

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
No. Since it was the pro timer, there was lots of leniency towards the timer screwing up. Of course, most judges (and maybe even some delegates) wouldn't even care if something like that happened on normal timers, since you never did any turns

The organizers were already aware of this. We discussed it and the most recent agreement was that it is okay because the timer's red light was not working and he did not make any turns. If the timer was operating normally, I think we would have changed it to a DNF.

ToastyKen

WCA
2012LUKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here's a set of 14 photos I took on Thursday of US Nationals:

US Nationals 2012, Day 0

I won't bother inlining everything, but here's a shot of my favorite mosaic, the Royal Pikachu Flush! :)

p541812860-3.jpg

Still working on photos from Days 1-3...