• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

US Nationals 2010 Nerves

camcuber

WCA
2008BROW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey everyone! I was recently averaging around the 12's but earlier today I started to average around 14 which is not good at for me. Does anyone know if this would just be nerves or what? I know that tis is a really stupid question but i am really afraid since nationals is such a big competition.

hawkmp4

My guess is that this is a normal fluctuation in your times, you're just hypersensitive because you're nervous about Nationals. I would keep doing what you're doing and (I know it's easy to say) try to relax about it. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Everyone has an off day.

camcuber

WCA
2008BROW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
yeah, that's true but a competition is a competition to me. The only difference between nationals and other competitions to me is that since it is usually far away from me, if I don't do well, it's like an atomic fail.

mark3

Haha yeah I'm just stressed cause my dad really wants me to do well

Don't let that effect you. If it's that you want to do well for yourself then fine, but don't let your dad get you nervous. There are no scholarships on the line, you do it for fun, so have fun. :)

Anthony

Professional Speedcuber
WCA
2008SEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
yeah, that's true but a competition is a competition to me. The only difference between nationals and other competitions to me is that since it is usually far away from me, if I don't do well, it's like an atomic fail.

At the very least, you'll get to hang out with friends you rarely see for a few days. :3

camcuber

WCA
2008BROW01
YouTube
Visit Channel

How is it a fail?

It's and atomic fail because my dad sees what I can average at home and it's not that big of a deal if i don't do well at some comp by me but we are paying a lot for me to go to this and I would feel like I'm letting I'm down if i don't do well. My dad is not mean or anything but I jut want to impress him I guess.

How is it a fail?

It's and atomic fail because my dad sees what I can average at home and it's not that big of a deal if i don't do well at some comp by me but we are paying a lot for me to go to this and I would feel like I'm letting I'm down if i don't do well. My dad is not mean or anything but I jut want to impress him I guess.

Well I would simply have to say to loosen up and just chill about the whole thing. You shouldn't get so worked up... So you had one bad session... It's not the end of the world. I'm sure you'll do fine at your competition. Even when you're there, just chill out, mingle with some people to get your mind off the stress, think about different things...

rowehessler

I'm sure it is nerves, you'll do just fine.. and yes Nats is a big comp but at least it ain't Worlds where they had all eyes on you when you were solving in the final round. Talk about pressure.

its the same format for nationals dude, lol

Me

WCA
2006WRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In the end you might perform differently under a real competition environment. I always do and it really catches me off guard.. like when I set my official 5x5 average to sub-2 when my averages really range between 2:10 and 2:20