• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Upcoming puzzles

Doctor Hedron

YouTube
Visit Channel
- Lefun Master Pyraminx
This one? I wonder if it's the same one as this one from "CB" on Cubezz. I ordered the CB one immediately when I saw it, but I have a strong suspicion that it's literally LanLan with different (better) stickers and for a lower price.

I have all the mass produced Master Pyraminxes and LanLan is very clearly "budget" compared to Shengshou and Qiyi, but costs the same as them. If this one is indeed just a cheaper LanLan, then it can actually compete with the "top tier" ones by being worse but cheaper.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think "CB" is Z. Hard to say for sure. I'm pretty sure the Lefun & CB are the same thing in different boxes but don't know if they're just LanLans.

I think you're right that there's a place for a worse but cheaper master pyraminx. I just wish somebody would do an even better one than the Qiyi - maybe a magnetic or ball bearing one.

Doctor Hedron

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, I didn't mean that the company Lefun / CB / Z is explicitly connected to LanLan (actually "Z" is the brand of Champion's Cube Store... which is the same as "HelloCube"... so confusing!), but I have the LanLan one on my hands, and the look of the pieces in the photos, as well as the listed weight and size of the puzzle, matches LanLan very well. It wouldn't be the first time, by far, that Z released a "repackaged" version of someone else's puzzle with new stickers.

I just wish somebody would do an even better one than the Qiyi - maybe a magnetic or ball bearing one.
Actually, I meant to make a detailed, in-depth video on the master pyraminxes before this 4th one appeared (which is why I have all of them in the first place), and I believe Shengshou is superior. The clicky notches on the Qiyi one are way too strong for their own good, compared to the tension of the puzzle itself. No matter what tensions you set, the puzzle essentially just "snaps" between states, so to say, because it takes more effort to disengage the clicky notches than it takes to actually rotate the layers (which are lightweight). Shengshou is slower but much more controllable.

Also, the notches are just small plastic bumps that have a very small area of effect, compared to ball bearings - but then again, you probably can't have ball bearings that deep inside the puzzle, there's just no space. Magnets would solve the problem, because with them, you don't have to worry that their position comes "outside" the puzzle in the middle of a turn (with ball bearings and notches, that would be a problem).

Shengshou doesn't have any alignment mech of any sort, but it's very smooth, quite forgiving with corner cutting (more than Qiyi actually), and just "feels right", if it makes sense - it flexes just enough for it to be helpful rather than annoying. If anyone is on the fence about which Master Pyraminx to get, I strongly recommend Shengshou, and in white plastic if you don't mind it (feels slightly smoother).

Last edited:

Sergey

DaYan ZhanChi 2018 (57 mm)

DY-333-ZhanChi-2018-01.JPG

DY-333-ZhanChi-2018-07.JPG

DY-333-ZhanChi-2018-09.JPG

Last edited: