• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Up to Date Best Cubes on the Market?

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I like both ideas. Both are easily done. I already added "Class" where we can put budget, great, expert. Of course some budget cubes are super good cubes, and can get a high rating. And some expensive cubes are not so good and can get a low rating, so I think rating should stay, but a weighted rating from various users should be possible. Having it degraded is trickier though. Because for example the Weipo is still a top cube, but it's not the newest, so the rating would have gone down a lot over the last year. Which isn't fair, it still rocks. :) I don't think we should let cubes drop in rating automatically. If people change their mind about the ratings of the cube, it makes more sense for them to change their rating on it in the list.

Edit: Weighted average added. I put three names in the columns as examples. The function counts until column ZZ so that should be more than enough columns for everyone to get their vote in.
I think we're making too complicated. Having it degrade is not necessary in my opinion since just because time passes doesn't mean better cubes will come out. A cube from 2015 still may be the best cube out there. To make it more simple and not overwhelm people with choices (which is the case right now), we should recommend 1, 2, or 3 puzzles per event (2x2, 3x3, 4x4, etc) and rate them as Budget, Great, or Expert. This way for each puzzle someone can make an easy choice. If we have 10 puzzles already rated as "Good", it makes it difficult to make a choice. In that case where 5 are "Good", let's just pick the cheapest one and make call it "Good" for that event. The point here is to keep a simple, updated post with the most suggested cubes by the community. What do you guys think about keeping it more simple?

I am very interested in the recommendations from this list. Hardware-wise I am basically a noob.
Degrading on age for cubes is not something I would want. I would find it useful to have a property "releasedate" and a property "not commonly available anymore" so in the future we can filter the list on these properties
Agreed on both points. I think a release date is good, though not absolutely necessary as long as we keep the list updated each month or two.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I think this a commendable endeavor, but anymore there's a lot more to it than "cube A is better than cube B." There are a lot of different variables: availability, magnets/magnet strength/room for magnets, corner cutting, flexibility, stickerless shades, size, price, speed/controllability, adjustability, durability . . . What we really want is something like this for cubes, but crowdsourced.

I would also note that I don't use my 3x3 main for feet: the ergonomics are so entirely different, it's worth investing in another cube.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I think this a commendable endeavor, but anymore there's a lot more to it than "cube A is better than cube B." There are a lot of different variables: availability, magnets/magnet strength/room for magnets, corner cutting, flexibility, stickerless shades, size, price, speed/controllability, adjustability, durability . . . What we really want is something like this for cubes, but crowdsourced.

I would also note that I don't use my 3x3 main for feet: the ergonomics are so entirely different, it's worth investing in another cube.
Sure, all of those variables can be discussed at length (and already have for a lot of cubes in the past). The idea here is to provide a useful resource for the people who just want to buy a good cube without having to search around a huge amount. Right now, no up-to-date thread exists for this.

While feet and BLD, people may want others, and those can be discussed and added overtime.

As for the spreadsheet, looking at it now there are 6 3x3's alone rated Expert. As I mentioned in the previous post, I think we should make 1 recommendation for Good, 1 for Great, and 1 for Expert per puzzle. Thoughts on simplifying like this or is it just me?

Also, can anyone activity interested in Clock, Sq-1, and Megaminx contribute to the spreadsheet? It would be quite useful as a start to get something up.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04

I added 1 in each category. I'll add the caveat that I haven't actually used the X-man Galaxy V2M, I've used the non-magnetic version, and it's my understanding that the magnetic version is the best available. The non-magnetic is very good, the YLM mega is also good, but on a different level.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
So there are several cubers on the spreadsheet that have there mains on the cubical.us's website, however some of them have not been updated in a while, so do you think that it is worth adding to the spreadsheet or not? I do not think that it is worth is, especially since I am sure that some of the cubes are outdated, but on the other hand there still might be some that are the same.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
So there are several cubers on the spreadsheet that have there mains on the cubical.us's website, however some of them have not been updated in a while, so do you think that it is worth adding to the spreadsheet or not? I do not think that it is worth is, especially since I am sure that some of the cubes are outdated, but on the other hand there still might be some that are the same.
Try to use the most up to date info, but if you can't find it, it's better to have a slightly out of date cube than nothing.

Are prices based on cubicle prices?
Not sure who edited that. Ideally we should list a couple options of places to buy.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Here is draft one of what I propose (cubes taken from the spreadsheet data so far). As I suggested before, I think we should keep it simple to make it an easy to use, up-to-date resource. Debates around which cubes should be recommended can be discussed overtime. Please help fill in the rest of this so we can get a start - we also want to list buying options so people know where to buy them. If you want to make changes, please make them by copying below and replying with the updated draft.

-------------

What Cube Should I Get? What are the best puzzles on the market today?

Below the the top recommendations as of September, 2018. If you suggest different puzzles than what is shown here, reply to this thread to discuss so we can keep this post updated with the most recommended cubes.

2x2x2:
Budget: Moyu Weipo - $12.99
Great: Angstrom WeiPo M - $35.99
Expert: GAN 249 M 2x2 - $17.99

3x3x3:
Budget: Moyu Weilong GTS 2 M - $25.99
Great: Valk Power M - $38.99
Expert: GAN 356 Air SM 3x3 - $49.99

4x4x4:
Budget: Qiyi Mini Wuque M - $31.99
Great: Qiyi Mini Wuque M - $31.99
Expert: Cubicle WuQue M 4x4 - $59.99

5x5x5:
Budget: QiYi WuShuang 5x5 - $19.99
Great: CH WuShuang M 5x5 - $59.99
Expert: Cubicle WuShuang M 5x5 - $64.99

6x6x6:
Budget: Cyclone Boys 6x6 G6 - $19.50
Great: YuXin Red 6x6 - $28.99
Expert: Cubicle Labs Red M 6x6 - $73.99

7x7x7:
Budget: MoFang JiaoShi MF7S 7x7 - $19.99
Great: MoYu Cubic AoFu 7x7 GT - $48.99
Expert: Yuxin Hays 7 M - $54.95

Megaminx:
Budget:
Great:
Expert:

Pyraminx:
Budget:
Great:
Expert:

Skewb:
Budget:
Great:
Expert:

Clock:
Budget:
Great:
Expert:

Square-1:
Budget:
Great:
Expert:

I don't really agree with your recommendations here, some cubes aren't even that good without work done, such as the yuxin red, which needs to be seriously broken in and spring swapped, or extremely outdated, such as the cubic aofu.

Also, I think that the premium set up versions of cubes should not be included in the spreadsheet. Promoting premium services to beginers is a bad idea as they will learn to rely on others instead of learning to set up cubes, which is one of the most important skills of cubing.

Premium cubes are essentially flagships set up to full potential, and cube reviews are supposed to review cubes at full potential to be a fair comparison. Imagine that I compared a cosmic valk m to a GTS2 on tight tensions with dry lube. Of course the valk would win on corner cutting, speed and times. Removing premium cubes and having them under their name is the best way to go.

Galcor117

How is GAN 249 M expert class...
Also the Moyu 7x7 is extremely outdated and a Wuji or Huanglong is a much better option

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I don't really agree with your recommendations here, some cubes aren't even that good without work done, such as the yuxin red, which needs to be seriously broken in and spring swapped, or extremely outdated, such as the cubic aofu.

Also, I think that the premium set up versions of cubes should not be included in the spreadsheet. Promoting premium services to beginers is a bad idea as they will learn to rely on others instead of learning to set up cubes, which is one of the most important skills of cubing.

Premium cubes are essentially flagships set up to full potential, and cube reviews are supposed to review cubes at full potential to be a fair comparison. Imagine that I compared a cosmic valk m to a GTS2 on tight tensions with dry lube. Of course the valk would win on corner cutting, speed and times. Removing premium cubes and having them under their name is the best way to go.
How is GAN 249 M expert class...
Also the Moyu 7x7 is extremely outdated and a Wuji or Huanglong is a much better option
Can you please copy the template above, paste and make your edits, and repost? Great recommendations, please edit accordingly.
Thanks

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I shall only do the events I have any reasonable knowledge on
I think the following rules have to be established:
Budget has to be $5 or less on thecubicle e
Great has to be an out of the box cube
Expert has to be the best cube store set up of the cube(nova/cosmic/angstrom/proshop/rocket...)(I am unable to give a decent comparison for this)

3x3x3:
Budget: MF3RS
great: weilong gts3m

4x4x4:
Budget: kungfu cangfeng
Great: mini wuque M

5x5x5:
Budget: Qizheng S
Great: wushuang

6x6x6:
Great: Shadow M

7x7x7:
Budget: MF7
great: wuji

I have not had a chance to properly try the recent 5x5-7x7s so have not included them

Reactions: pjk

Trexrush1

WCA
2013MAZU02
My takes (including stuff from what ive heard)
Budget - Dirt Cheap Cubes only
Great - Pretty good and you wont have to sell your house
Expert - The best cube on the market according to me or the experts

2x2x2:
Budget: Kungfu 2x2
Great: MGC 2x2
Expert: Angstrom Weipo M

3x3x3:
Budget: Yuxin Little Magic
Great: Yuxin Huanglong M
Expert: Moyu Weilong GTS 3

4x4x4:
Budget: Qiyi Mini Wuque
Great: Qiyi Mini Wuque M
Expert: Angstrom WuQue M 4x4

5x5x5:
Budget: MF5
Great: CH WuShuang M 5x5
Expert: Cubicle WuShuang M 5x5

6x6x6:
Budget: Cyclone Boys G6 / MF6
Expert: Shadow M

7x7x7:
Budget: MoFang JiaoShi MF7S 7x7
Great: Yuxin Hays 7
Expert: Yuxin Hays 7 M

Megaminx:
Budget: Qiyi Qiheng
Great: X Man Galaxy M
Expert: X Man Galaxy v2 M

Skewb:
Budget: idk just get the Wingy Skewb
Great: X Man Wingy Skewb
Expert: X Man Wingy Skewb

Clock:
Budget: Lingao Clock
Great: Literally none of them are good lol Lingao Clock M
Expert: Rubiks Clock M

Reactions: pjk

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
My takes (including stuff from what ive heard)
Great - Pretty good and you wont have to sell your house
Expert - The best cube on the market according to me or the experts

2x2x2:
Budget: Kungfu 2x2
Great: MGC 2x2
Expert: Angstrom Weipo M

3x3x3:
Budget: Yuxin Little Magic
Great: Yuxin Huanglong M
Expert: Moyu Weilong GTS 3

4x4x4:
Budget: Qiyi Mini Wuque
Great: Qiyi Mini Wuque M
Expert: Angstrom WuQue M 4x4

5x5x5:
Budget: MF5
Great: CH WuShuang M 5x5
Expert: Cubicle WuShuang M 5x5

6x6x6:
Budget: Cyclone Boys G6 / MF6
Expert: Shadow M

7x7x7:
Budget: MoFang JiaoShi MF7S 7x7
Great: Yuxin Hays 7
Expert: Yuxin Hays 7 M

Megaminx:
Budget: Qiyi Qiheng
Great: X Man Galaxy M
Expert: X Man Galaxy v2 M

Skewb:
Budget: idk just get the Wingy Skewb
Great: X Man Wingy Skewb
Expert: X Man Wingy Skewb

Clock:
Budget: Lingao Clock
Great: Literally none of them are good lol Lingao Clock M
Expert: Rubiks Clock M
Great start, which overlaps mostly with the previous post. Can you (or anyone reading this) please add pricing and a link on the price of where to buy it? This will make it much easier for people to choose and buy a new cube. Something like this format:

Skewb:
Budget: MoFang JiaoShi Skewb - $3.99
Great: X Man Wingy Skewb - $13.99
Expert: X Man Wingy Skewb - $13.99

This should be quite useful if we keep it updated overtime.

Hazel

Premium Member
As someone who's been cubing for over 5 years, here is my take on 2x2-5x5s.

2x2:
Budget: YuXin Little Magic 2x2
Great: MoYu WeiPo (or WeiPo M)
Expert: Angstrom WeiPo M

3x3:
Budget: YuXin Little Magic 3x3
Great: MoYu MF3RS2 (or MF3RS2 M)
Expert: Angstrom GTS3 M

4x4:
Budget: QiYi ThunderClap 4x4
Great: QiYi WuQue (or WuQue M)
Expert: Angstrom WuQue M

5x5:
Budget: YuXin Cloud
Great: QiYi WuShuang (or WuShuang M)
Expert: Angstrom WuShuang M

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Here is an updated draft - we need to add pricing for the remaining items, and if you want to suggest another cube for one of the categories below, simply reply with which you suggest with a reason for switching.
-------------------

Great - Pretty good and you won't have to sell your house
Expert - The best cube on the market

2x2x2:
  • Budget: Kungfu 2x2 - $5.99
  • Great: MGC 2x2 - $9.99
  • Expert: Angstrom Weipo M - $35.99

3x3x3:
  • Budget: Yuxin Little Magic - $2.99
  • Great: Yuxin Huanglong M - $24.99
  • Expert: Moyu Weilong GTS 3 - $34.99