• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

UK Cubing Lubricant

Darshen

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is mainly to aid UK, most probably only English, cubers.

There were not very many UK cubers posting about lubricant so the only lubricant (silicone lube) were: CRC, Liquid Wrench and Jigg-a-loo

In the UK, well England at least, you cannot find these brands. Believe me I tried very hard.

So, I eventually found a lube called Tableau Dry Lube. You cannot find this at your 'high-end' or high street department/hardware stores. You have to go to small hardware stores or 'odds and ends' stores. Luckily, I did work experience in a small hardware store.

If you go to Screwfix they will have a 3 in 1 Silicone Lube. This is horrendous and has much the same effect as some oil based lube, such as WD40.

Well, anyway that is to help the British, hope it has.

Hope I helped.

P.S. If anyone in the UK should see CRC, Liquid Wrench or Jigg-a-loo please notify me through this thread.
Thank you.
Happy Cubing

Darshen

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is mainly to aid UK, most probably only English, cubers.

There were not very many UK cubers posting about lubricant so the only lubricant (silicone lube) were: CRC, Liquid Wrench and Jigg-a-loo.

In the UK, well England at least, you cannot find these brands. Believe me I tried very hard.

So, I eventually found a lube called Tableau Dry Lube. You cannot find this at your 'high-end' or high street department/hardware stores. You have to go to small hardware stores or 'odds and ends' stores. Luckily, I did work experience in a small hardware store.

If you go to Screwfix they will have a 3 in 1 Silicone Lube. This is horrendous and has much the same effect as some oil based lube, such as WD40.

Well, anyway that is to help the British, hope it has.

Hope I helped.

P.S. If anyone in the UK should see CRC, Liquid Wrench or Jigg-a-loo please notify me through this thread.
Thank you.
Happy Cubing

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for announcing it for others. I somehow managed to find this lube in Robert Dyas around 1 or 2 years. I wonder if Breandan and other people found this by chance as well...

Bomber

A few other UK Cubers had a small discussion about lubricant here in the UK, there actually isn't a huge choice of suitable things to put in cubes but I think most are covered here.

A few people mentioned Tableau Dry Lube, you have to either look very hard or get it cheaply off eBay. Most people said that Tableau was the best they had tried. I use one that I found at Lidl, it is very effective.

Last edited:

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why did you post this twice? You know you can edit right?
Hopefully a mod will merge this soon.

Anyway, I've found Tableau in 'willliamsons hardware', but I know you can order it off the internet.
I've also found this:

http://www.racingstate.com/shock-oil.html

but I haven't bought it yet, although it seem its just standard shock oil.
'Maplins silicone lubricant' is very good, it feels a bit thinner than Tableau and a bit faster, but not as smooth.

Darshen

YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry I didn't mean to pollute. Just couldn't find a thread for the UK lube. And thanks for the link.
Plus LOL I got my Tableau for £2.99...a lot cheaper than 7 quid

Bomber

Sorry I didn't mean to pollute. Just couldn't find a thread for the UK lube. And thanks for the link.
Plus LOL I got my Tableau for £2.99...a lot cheaper than 7 quid

No no, it's fine. The last thread was months back so I'm sure nobody remembers! We might have found something else to put in our cubes since then; it was 1/3 of a year ago!

When I was going to buy some Tableau from eBay it only cost about £2.95. It must have changed since then. I didn't order some because I found the lubricant in Lidl and that was absolutely fine. I have used a few other things though but that and my 'Shock Oil' have been the stand outs.

Edam

Premium Member
WCA
2008WILL03
I used to use 'silicone lubricant' from halfords, but it was a bit balls and always left stuff wet and had to be wiped off.
since then Breandan recommended tableau to me and it kicks ass.
so. as everyone in the uk says, it's the best. Get it off ebay. 'nuff said.

cookingfat

WCA
2009HARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm in England and I went to a local motor spares store called A1 and got a can of 'Wynn's Silicone Lube' for about £4.50, looks like this >
718.jpg

Seems to work just fine for me, although a little wet. It makes my type c a little bit sticky, but other than that it's great.

I may have to try this tableau dry lube though or maybe shock oil from a model shop next time.

Darshen

YouTube
Visit Channel
Tableau is definitely worth a try and I think, somehow, I'm going to try shock oil and the rest of the suggestions.

The effect of Tableau is that my DIY is on near full tightness and moves like a dream without popping.

Musje

I use Griffon silicone spray and it works great.

Though I'm from the netherlands and not sure about how common it is in england (it's a very common brand for lubrication and stuff here)

panyan

i use:
1) shock oil (£3 from ebay for 20wt, 50cc or something)
2) halfords own brand silicone spray
3) some berry smelling silicone spray (only use if desperate!)

leeho

WCA
2010HOAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use:
1. Maplin silicone spray
2. Tableau
3. Shock Oil (I usually mix this with maplin silicone spray)
4. 3 in 1 Silicone spray

Other Lubes that I know of in the UK are

Halfords silicone spray
Rapide silicone spray
Wynns silicone spray

Tableau works best on its own. However, mixing Maplin silicone spray and Shock oil 20wt makes the cube much faster and smoother in my opinion.

MichaelErskine

Premium Member
WCA
2008ERSK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm currently using the "W5 Silicone Oil" spray from LIDL (99p). It seems to have no solvent carrier and doesn't take a long time to dry like my previous favourite, the Maplin stuff. This makes it ideal to spray directly into puzzles as the evaporation effect of the solvent can weld cubies together with some other spray lubes. I also have some 3-in-1 Silicone but I haven't really used that one yet.

lubes-3.jpg

(sorry for the bad photo :) )

I'll be doing a "scientific" study of the various lubes for puzzles when I get my hands on some Tableau and some silicone lubricant pastes used in engineering.

Last edited: