• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Two Type E's very different performance, but when merged make a super cube!

Hello,

Let me start with the disclaimer that I am very new to speedcubing. I can solve with the beginners method in about 50 seconds. I also scramble really fast so I can get the cube moving pretty well. Slow cubes frustrate me so lately I have gone on a search for some fast cubes. I have about 20 different types now but the best I have found is a hybrid of two different types of Type E's. Now my problem is I've ordered about 8 of these type E diansheng cubes but they are all of one type. I need to find more of the type with the grey core, so I am hoping that if I post pictures here you can help me identify it and find some more.

You can find all my images here

So are the two cubes, for the sake of clarification we will call my first diansheng, the one with the grey core type E1 and the other, the type with the white core type E2.
img3061e.jpg

Now this one with the grey core, E1, was a great cube. It had stickers instead of paint, and moved very, very quickly. It would lock up a bit and cutting corners was a bit of a problem. But, because it moved so quickly I just loved using it. Now loving this cube so much I pickup up 5 more dianshengs, all of them are this other type with the white core, E2. This type was not as fast but did not lock up and cut corners pretty well. So as an experiment I tried to combine these two cubes. I discovered that putting the E2 cubies on the E1 cube made for an amazing combination, no pops, no lockups, cuts corners like a dream, and is very, very, fast. I love this cube.

Now I purchased more dianshengs from many different places but I can't seem to find the E1 type cube anywhere. and I can't make another supercube without one. Can you help me identify what it is and where I can find some?

I have more pictures:

Closeup of Grey (what I am calling E1)
Closeup of White (E2)
E1 stickered logo
E2 painted logo
E1 Corner Cubie
E1 Edge Cubie
E2 Corner Cubie
E2 Edge Cubie

If it helps the stickers on E1 are mottled or marbled along with the hue on the colors being off. The color arrangement was also wrong. I put the E1's cubies on the E2 frame and it stinks. About as good as the chrome/silver plated cube from cube4you.

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
lol core color.
Dianshengs tend to not have the same core color.

I really haven't felt any changes in performance between my Diansheng cubes (I have 6) and most of them aren't the same color core.

Both of these are from Cube4You. My hybrid cube does not pop at all, it's just awesome. On the white core E2 if I loosen the tension it will move quickly but then I will get massive pop problems.

rookie

http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12659

that thread will tell you the "real" names of your cubes, but it's hard to say give a name when certain characteristics of the no.222 can cross over to the no.333

if you look at the picture of the no.333 in that thread, you can see that those are E1 cubies on an E2 core by your terminology. i have the same one as pentrixter... and i bought mine like that. that leads me to the hypothesis that type Es are just type Es, there are two different types 222 and 333 but what comes in the package is just variable

but i think the way we actually came to know 222 and 333 ought to be the correct ways of naming them. that is, 222 is the "normal cube" with the normal looking cubies and shorter and rounder core, while the 333 is the "weird cube" with the cut cubies and longer core

hillary

tpfkaGDR - the place formerly known as GDR
Have you looked at the screws and springs? Maybe that makes a difference.
I have two DianShengs (N° 222) and they both have fat screws and short, soft springs like type Ds and I'm under the impression that those kind of springs make a cube rather speedy.

WCA
2009ROAC01
lol core color.
Dianshengs tend to not have the same core color.

I really haven't felt any changes in performance between my Diansheng cubes (I have 6) and most of them aren't the same color core.
Yeah, the ones he has (they used to be mine) seem to be the kind sold from Cube4you now. I have an older (also stickered) one, and it feels like it clicks into place, and the stickers are different.

I read that post before posting but I didn't seem to get the difference, now that you explained it I see your right. The .333 has less beveled bigger cubies and when putting the .222 ones in it keeps it's pop resistance, speed, and makes cutting corners better. Also the smaller cubies seem to lock up a lot less.

So now the question is how do I get diansheng 333 then? I have enough 222 to convert over.

Also I prefer stickers because I can peel them off and put on new ones, paint I am stuck with, or I have to put stickers over it with some paint showing through underneath. :(

Last edited:
Cube4You only has the one type, at least it only shows the one type. Do I just order the diansheng and ask in the notes for the 333?

rookie

rubikfans has both. cube4you only has one of them i think...

the problem, like i said before though, is that the some 222 characteristics cross over to the 333 and vice versa. so its hard to nail down which is which. actually the 333 that i got from rubikfans had a 222 (e2) core... but i suppose if you get enough of both you will eventually have enough of everything to make whatever you want lol...

as for me, i say screw the trouble and just go but an f-2 or new type a ii. those are excellent cubes that imo have those qualities you have mentioned above

hawkmp4

Just a small note (nice post, by the way) - 'supercube' generally means a cube that has some way of telling which way centers are twisted, so that you need to solve the centers' orientation also. It's obvious what you mean in this post, but I just thought I'd add that for future reference.
Welcome!

Thanks,

I checked with Rubikfans and he does not have the 333, nor does cube4you. I also can't seem to find any on ebay. Any ideas on how to get one?

BTW, have you ever seen a black Diansheng?

Last edited:

rookie