• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

This is not acceptable…

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Compared to the innovation of the other cube manufacturers you mean ? oh wait ... remind me what changed between the Moyu WRM 2020 and 2021 ?
Adjustable magnets, primary internals, maglev.
or the last 2 versions of the RS3M.
moyu was called out for this as they should have been. But the difference is, the rs3s are a $10 and $14 cube, not a $75 and $80 cube.
GAN have changed each iteration of the flagship cube more so than any other manufacturer. Sure, complain about the price. But to use lack of innovation as an anti-GAN argument just doesn't cut it.
Agreed, they are adding a lot of new things. But are the new things they're adding really even adding much to the cubes?
What would you like to see added to the cube of tomorrow ?
I don't think anything needs to be added. Cubes are getting more and more complicated, with not much performance change. I'd rather see companies focus on less optimized hardware then continually putting out new flagships that aren't significantly different.

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
is not a valid argument as his contention was that $80 for a cube is simply not worth it and there is no pressing reason for the purchases of such. Moreover, I believe most people purchase goods based on the performance, rather than innovation. Not many people care about anything but the end result (including me). Like who cares about how many adjustment levels for magnets or tension there are when its not the first few minutes of getting a new cube?
It requires a lot of R&D? Damn, guess I have to fork out 3 or 4 more RS3Ms for that
ok fine sorry for the ad hominem
My point was that using innovation as an argument is moot, so calling GAN out for that it out of line.

You can complain all you like about the price. It's the same argument of an iPhone vs an Android phone that will do everything you need at a fraction of the cost. Do you need an iPhone, certainly not. Would you like an iPhone, probably. Will Apple charge less for their iPhone because you don't like the price and whine about it, no.

Just like the iPhone there are people that are prepared to pay the premium price for GAN cubes. Get over it, and move on. Because you cannot justify spending that amount of money on a cube, don't. That's it done. I'm not going to go running about on cell phone forums whining about the price of an iPhone because I cannot justify the spend.

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
I don't think anything needs to be added. Cubes are getting more and more complicated, with not much performance change. I'd rather see companies focus on less optimized hardware then continually putting out new flagships that aren't significantly different.
All manufacturers have done the same when releasing new flagships, it's not just a GAN thing.

Kaiju_cube

your question was "Want to list the innovations the other cube manufacturers have done ?"

the answer was Moyu had maglev first.

It doesn't seem like GAN is the Leader In Innovation,.. they're just another cube company doing their thing. There are lots of cube companies doing interesting things. GAN has great marketing and packaging and sells itself as a 'Premium Cube.'

More power to them. I probably have 20+ GAN cubes. They're great. But I have a ton of cubes from Moyu and DaYan that are also great.

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
your question was "Want to list the innovations the other cube manufacturers have done ?"

the answer was Moyu had maglev first.

It doesn't seem like GAN is the Leader In Innovation,.. they're just another cube company doing their thing. There are lots of cube companies doing interesting things. GAN has great marketing and packaging and sells itself as a 'Premium Cube.'

More power to them. I probably have 20+ GAN cubes. They're great. But I have a ton of cubes from Moyu and DaYan that are also great.
Moyu were the first to have factory installed maglev. They were certainly not the innovators of that technology.

And I believe that someone else had spoken about magnetic levitation even before that. Also funny how Chris Trans's 1st prototype model is a GAN ;)

GAN is just like every other cube manufacturer doing their thing. They have always priced themselves as "Premium" and have sponsored the right people to help their marketing push. They have definitely succeeded in the market. From a pure business perspective I have to admire what they have done and achieved in that market.

Most of the cube manufacturers have produced good/great cubes. People are so diverse as are their tastes and preferences that there will be a cube that you will like that you are also satisfied with the price paid for that cube. Each to their own.

I still believe that GAN are doing more with each new cube than the other manufacturers are doing with theirs. And just to clarify I don't mean as a comparison between different manufacturers, but in how each iteration of their own flagship cube changes.

Sion

Moyu was the first to include true mechanical spring compression in the GTS3. Moyu was also the first to incorporate true mechanical magnet adjustment in the EDM.

Yj was the first to include a twisting magnetic element in the Elite.

The Shengshou Gem was also the first to include a stickerless capped design.

These are a lot of the things GAN has eventually built upon, but weren't necessarily initially conceived by them. I wouldn't call them copycats for it because even then, they all have unique twists that make them function differently to their original counterparts in some way.

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think this thread needs to die, nobody's mind will be changed, and it's quickly becoming a "which company is the best" thread. Though it would be nice if enough people would boycott gan so they'd lower their prices, people aren't willing to sacrifice not getting the newest cube, so I guess that's not happening.

Manxkiwi

Just think how lucky we are these days, to have so many companies producing so many great cubes across all price ranges.
People of a certain age remember there being (basically) only one or two choices, which, by today's standards were pretty (very) poor.
We are currently in a fantastic age of cube hardware..