• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

TheCubicle is Suing Rubik's.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow, I'm impressed!

The honest truth is that someone should have challenged Rubik's on their improper use of trademark and copyright law years ago, but it was just too hard and expensive for someone to try. This takes guts; I hope it works, and that they can really change the unreasonable behavior of Rubik's once and for all.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
I have to include Professor Rubik in my list of heroes for inventing something so fascinating, engaging, and novel that practically everyone had to get one. It was also so challenging that 99% of them were perma-scrambled after the first few turns. Somewhere around '82 I bought a booklet and learned LBL with some species of multi-look LL. I'm not sure if it was OLL/PLL but it definitely wasn't as tedious as beginners' method LL, whatever it was. But I never knew anyone else who could solve, other interests come along, and the fad crashed because the world only needs so many cubes that will never be solved.

The trend of legal and resource bullying from Rubik's Brands is very disappointing to me. I feel like there is so much opportunity for mutual benefit among those who launched the puzzle into an icon that's still immediately recognized today, the community that rediscovered it and began pushing the limits of the methods, and those who spent time and money designing ever better hardware. It bothers me on a whole different level that the actions of the rightsholders may have tarnished Professor Rubik's name within a community that literally exists due to a passion for his invention; that makes me sad.

That lament aside, if you have an unreasonable bully that repeatedly attacks: disarm them. It certainly feels like obvious trademark abuse to me, with zero law experience. I'm hoping the courts see it that way as well, good luck and good on ya.

Reed Merrill

It is interesting to note that for the time being Rubik's Brand has withdrawn their lawsuit in response to The Cubicle's counter-suit. Rubik's could easily file their lawsuit again, but this development still seems hopeful to me. This is something that seems to be getting overlooked in the responses to the video that The Cubicle just made.

U

Underwatercuber

they managed to talk it out with Rubik’s and cancel the lawsuits. They haven’t stayed where the gofundme money is going yet