• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The World's Most Messed Up Sayings

BaconCuber

Hello!
This is a topic about annoying sayings that people say without realizing it. Post all of these down below.
Here's my first two:
Happy birthday! (This is wrong because it is an anniversary of your birthday, not your birthday)
I could care less about... (If you could care less, why don't you?)
Edit: I got the idea for this thread because it's my birthday today (11/20) and I was getting annoyed when people said happy birthday.

Last edited:

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
Same difference.

Normally used when comparing 2 things to each other. In order to make any sense you would need to be comparing each thing to an independent thing.

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I got the idea for this thread because it's my birthday today (11/20) and I was getting annoyed when people said happy birthday.
The exact day you were born is usually referred to as your birthdate. A date usually includes the year, whereas a day usually doesn't. Date and day are used intechangeably so often that it doesn't matter too much which one you use.

I don't think I've ever heard someone be annoyed over people wishing them a happy birthday. :p

edit: Anyway, happy birthdate anniversary. :)

Last edited:

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Happy birthday! (This is wrong because it is an anniversary of your birthday, not your birthday)

The use of the word "birthday" in this case has a specific meaning which is not the same as "day of birth". The error you are making is viewing the word as "day of birth" rather than "day which represents the day on which you were born", which is how you should view it.

I could care less about... (If you could care less, why don't you?)

This isn't an expression, it is the stupidity of Americans in action, mis-using the expression "I couldn't care less".

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
"Try and ..." like the current [thread=44676]Try and comprehend these sentences[/thread] thread. Try what? Try the sentences? Might make a little sense in this particular case, but I think that's by accident. Or try to comprehend? Then you're requested to both try and succeed, so the request to try is superfluous because you can't succeed without trying. Should be "try to ...". And thus whenever I see that "Try and comprehend these sentences" title, I think "I can't even understand that sentence".

I don't think I've ever heard someone be annoyed over people wishing them a happy birthday. :p

How about [post=121033]this classic[/post]?

Last edited:

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
"wow, that's so ironic!"

Credit goes to Alanis Morisette for singing a song about irony which has nothing to do with irony whatsoever, and thereby perpetuating a generation's total misunderstanding of the concept of irony.

BaconCuber

I feel horrible now that I have been saying things that are not true...so many people are better at English than me... :( Thanks for the *birthdate anniversary* wishes.