• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The WDC and Brazilian Community Rant. (See latest edit, final decision)

But it’s a chair. The delegate can move the chair to the side and enter the room. Besides, we don’t know who moved the chair there in the first place

Edit: wrong posts quoted.
If there was a collusion with the solves and it required a chair to get away, then the chair would be somewhat heavy

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
Presumably, yes. I don’t find the chair argument entirely convincing, but it does support a pattern.

Sure, it does, however like that reddit post I quoted earlier, it doesn’t fit his character to go out of his way to cheat at turning a piece of plastic.

I mean, it could have been anyone placing a chair. Someone that wasn’t affiliated with the blind events may have put the chair there in good measure and didn’t mean harm.

U

Underwatercuber

Their job being to magically see through walls to monitor both rooms?
Delegates description from wca site
“The primary duty of a Delegate is to oversee competitions on behalf of the WCA. A WCA Delegate is responsible for making sure that all WCA Competitions are run according to the Mission, Spirit, and Regulations of the WCA.”

A delegate should have been in that room the whole time ideally, if not even assigning a trusted friend to watch over. Also the fact that there were 3 delegates at the comp and only 66 competitors is surprising to me, locally our delegate has to watch over far more people and many other places have similar situations. And guess what, if a delegate was there doing their job we wouldn’t have a single problem right now other than the misscramble which would just be a DNF and probably no bad.

U

Underwatercuber

o I thought there was only one delegate at the comp
if there is one delegate there probably shouldn’t be more than one room. When i organized my first comp i wanted 2 rooms (one bld one non-bld) he wouldn’t allow it since he couldn’t watch over both simultaneously. While I don’t think there is anything saying a delegate has to be present watching all competitors I think something should be changed in the regs to make sure we don’t have problems like this again. Having a delegate solves almost the entirety of this whole fiasco and can help stop lots of other problems.

WCA
2016DERO04
YouTube
Visit Channel
]fabio is awfully quiet on this thread all of the sudden

Or maybe I'm busy with other things? I'm watching the thread occasionally and have plenty of comments to make on some of Campos' allegations. But if I'm to do it, I'd rather do so with a clear head, at home and away from distractions.

Also please keep in mind my appeal process is still ongoing, and is also strongly supported by actual evidence instead of mere speculations.

(It's not "all of a sudden" also, lol, just asynchronous communication)

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
Alright. I made the point of my rant clear, which was to mainly criticize the WDC on their investigation.

I am not requesting a lock, but I will no longer be responding to comments as occasionally just to preserve the original point of the OP. I will be leaving the decision to you guys: Did the WDC investigate this in a professional and unbiased way? Why or why not? (Note this is not about if he cheated or not.) As well, what is your opinion on the communities reaction?

Thanks for responding and chiming in to the post. I appreciate hearing both sides of the story this week.

I’d also like to apologize to Campos for the way I worded the reddit comment, I was a bit rushed and didn’t reread before I submitted. I can’t access my reddit account due to a time limit set by parental controls but I will look into it tomorrow.

I will repeat:
Did the WDC investigate this in a professional and unbiased way? Why or why not? (Note this is not about if he cheated or not.) As well, what is your opinion on the communities reaction?

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Alright. I made the point of my rant clear, which was to mainly criticize the WDC on their investigation.

I am not requesting a lock, but I will no longer be responding to comments as occasionally just to preserve the original point of the OP. I will be leaving the decision to you guys: Did the WDC investigate this in a professional and unbiased way? Why or why not? (Note this is not about if he cheated or not.) As well, what is your opinion on the communities reaction?

Thanks for responding and chiming in to the post. I appreciate hearing both sides of the story this week.

I’d also like to apologize to Campos for the way I worded the reddit comment, I was a bit rushed and didn’t reread before I submitted. I can’t access my reddit account due to a time limit set by parental controls but I will look into it tomorrow.

I will repeat:
Did the WDC investigate this in a professional and unbiased way? Why or why not? (Note this is not about if he cheated or not.) As well, what is your opinion on the communities reaction?

To me, all you've shown is that you believe that WDC investigations are super simple and that there is always an easy way to carry them out that hurts no-one's feelings. Or that support from people on Reddit (many of whom have 0 experience with the incidents, including yourself) or your posts receiving Reddit gold are actual evidence in this investigation. I agree that Fabio is a super nice and helpful guy on Reddit, but the hive mind of that community is anything but evidence.

Dancing Jules

Fabio said himself that he wrote the note about "BLD ongoing, please be quiet / do not disturb" after asking a delegate. So the fact that it's his handwriting, isn't surprising.

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
To me, all you've shown is that you believe that WDC investigations are super simple and that there is always an easy way to carry them out that hurts no-one's feelings. Or that support from people on Reddit (many of whom have 0 experience with the incidents, including yourself) or your posts receiving Reddit gold are actual evidence in this investigation. I agree that Fabio is a super nice and helpful guy on Reddit, but the hive mind of that community is anything but evidence.

WDC investigations, as I believe, are complex and do require lots of time to carry out, as do most other investigations in other organizations and the real world. However, the main point I was making was not “simplicity” I was making the point of “unfairness”.

And no, community support is definitely not evidence. I was using it for a completely different reason. If this got misconstrued, I heavily apologize. I’ll go back and check the post.

I’ll clarify really quickly I appreciate all that you do for the community and I appreciate you taking the time to read my rant, whether you agree or not.

Edit: I may be misunderstanding this but when you say that the community has 0 experience in these types of incidents, are you also assuming everyone else in this thread who also has 0 experience with incidents is bandwagoning or wrong? (I understand others have experience in this thread)

Last edited:
WCA
2016DERO04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Fabio said himself that he wrote the note about "BLD ongoing, please be quiet / do not disturb" after asking a delegate. So the fact that it's his handwriting, isn't surprising.

Just to quickly clarify: There was a "please be quiet" sign right by the scrambler's table, but it wasn't handwritten.

(And I did indeed ask one of the delegates if it was ok to hang it there, which was next to the entrance, to which he obliged).

Side note: I'm still drafting an answer to Campos' allegations because many false claims have been made there.

What matters, however, is that my actual appeal procedures are ongoing with whom they concern. And hopefully we will all find common ground, all backed by facts and evidence.

Edit: clarity

U

Underwatercuber

I still don't ****ing get how Ushakov's situation is any different from this. All of the "proof" seems to be speculation. But then again, I guess we don't know what Lorenzo saw. I still think that info should be made public so we know the decisions weren't made unjustly.
“I saw some reference to Ushakov’s case in the comments of the other post. This is not like that case. Ushakov always replied on point to our questions, always cooperated during the investigation.”
-lorenzo

The fact he said this is surprising to me, as leader of the WDC you would expect a bit more professionalism but instead you take a jab at fabiano because some sass and compare him to arguably the most famous cheater in the wca (except maybe matyas). Not only that but it makes it sound like you can get away with cheating if you cooperate

T1_M0

WCA
2017NORR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It feels like there are tons of people arguing with very minimal knowledge or experience in blindsolving.

Getting 37 and 9 minute 5bld attempts on the same round is mainly impossible within normal circumstances (as @porkynator stated). Going safe is nonsense as an explanation since there's no way you would spend extra 20 minutes on memo, when you should be able to memo the whole cube multiple times in that time. There's no reason to do that intentionally either.

Given only that, I'd say it's most probable that the competitor cheated in some way. Add in the fact that he achieved similar very suspicious results in 3/4bld with the same judge, it's almost certain that something hasn't been right.

According to wdc, fabio reconstructed the 3bld solve on the spot, said he was sure it was not a misscramble but suddenly, as a video evidence was presented, he changed the story (video showed the state wasn't matching the scramble, and additionally, his execution was way slower than what it should've been). Wdc has also stated that they have been asking for a video of fabio's bigbld execution methods, which he's failed to provide (seems like he's definitely trying to hide the truth (if the wca consulted me about me about the legitness of my results with false assumptions, I'd definitely do everything I could to prevent any suspicions).

Definitely seems like a right decision to me.

Additionally, Fabio has spent very much time with writing replys to all discussions about the case, which contradicts his statement about being busy with other things. Maybe his goal is to win the community by his side rather than actually providing the evidence wdc asks, since he actually is incapable of the results he's fighting for.

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
Alright guys. It seems that my rant has 100 percent more or less served its purpose. I was able to tell the community about the investigation and, in my personal opinion, how unfair it was, along with a negative community reaction before and after. This thread will be locked in the next few days, or even hours, whenever I feel like the discussion should come to an end. I have no further opinion or comment. Please keep it on topic of the rant, whether it be the community or the investigation, and not how Fabio could or couldn’t have cheated. (I made the same mistake).

Thank you all for reading. This was my first time doing this. Even though it was controversial it was definitely worth writing my opinions and getting it off my chest. I hope we can ALL continue great relationships on the forum and enjoy cubing together.

Disclaimer: I am not “wussing” out because I feel like I lost, I feel like it’s best to prevent further hate and arguing.

Edit: If you feel like continuing debating, feel free to make a separate thread.

Last edited: