• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Rubik's DIY's....

oskarasbrink

WCA
2009ASBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey there

As the most of you know that Yu,Harris Erik and more use/used the rubik's DIY.
i bought one a couple a months ago and i was dissapointed wen i assembled it and lubed it.
is that because there is a "new" rubik's DIY?
and i've heard that there is 2006's 2007's 2008's and so on.
please give me some info.
I'm not really good at this lol :p....

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Perhaps the you made yours too tight, or you over/under lubed it. There are many variations to any DIY. I'd suggest adjusting tension more/less and cleaning/lubricating to how *you* like it.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Is this your first DIY? It may take time to get used to if you have always used a store bought. When I got my first DIY, it popped all the time because I was used to forcing moves with my store bought, which was quite hard to pop. It took me time to get used to so I could move fast, yet not pop it. If this isn't your problem, maybe you over-lubed it, and you need to clean it. Or perhaps the cube does indeed suck, or maybe the cube is defective.

HASH-CUBE

YouTube
Visit Channel
mine is a white rubik's DIY, it moves fast when lubing with rubik's lube or puzzle proz lube.
it's not much fast as i see people speedcubing with there cubes, also the center caps fall down alot so i glued it (witch i shouldn't)

oskarasbrink

WCA
2009ASBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If this isn't your problem, maybe you over-lubed it, and you need to clean it. Or perhaps the cube does indeed suck, or maybe the cube is defective.

wel , i sure did not overlube it (3 sprays with silicone) then i tried lubing it several times (no difference) and i tried the lube from rubiks.com on my other one but it was the same.

and i tried different screws´but it made no difference.

so i guess it sucks

but Yu, Erik and Harris Wouldn't use/used them if they suck.maybe they have an older version?

Musje

If this isn't your problem, maybe you over-lubed it, and you need to clean it. Or perhaps the cube does indeed suck, or maybe the cube is defective.

wel , i sure did not overlube it (3 sprays with silicone) then i tried lubing it several times (no difference) and i tried the lube from rubiks.com on my other one but it was the same.

and i tried different screws´but it made no difference.

so i guess it sucks

but Yu, Erik and Harris Wouldn't use/used them if they suck.maybe they have an older version?
Maybe it needs breaking in.

Also, people say storeboughts are the best DIYs once you've broken them in enough. My storebought barely cuts corners (in a way that cutting corners less wouldn't be cutting corners at all)

vvtopkar

WCA
2009TOPK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
A lot of people with lower times use Rubik's DIY cores yes. But not necessarily the cubies themselves, which tend to hold in quite tight. Try using that core, but some other cubies (like the ones from your other 9 DIY's).

Experiment around a bit, I'm sure you'll find a good configuration.

TemurAmir

WCA
2009SHAO04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've heard that the older molds of the Rubik's DIY are a lot better then the newer ones... I suggest you take some pieces from your other DIYs and put them on the core of the Rubik's. Erik/Harris use the 2006 or maybe the 2007 mold. I thought Yu uses a hybrid of the japenese speedcubing set.