• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The rise of Chinese cubers? (Yiheng Wang (王艺衡) / Ruihang Xu (许瑞航) / Yezhen Han (韩业臻))

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
As @DNF_Cuber said, you would have to be really efficient unless you have impossible TPS. Let’s say a normal CFOP solve takes 55 moves. In order to get a 2 second solve, you would have to be turning at 22.5 TPS (realistically, 23 if you want to get sub 2) to get that solve. That’s doing 2 U-perms (using the standard RU alg) in under a second. This isn’t even factoring in the fact that F2L is much less ergonomically friendly than an RU alg. To disprove the point even more, try doing good lookahead at 22-23 TPS.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No idea how this young kids learn so much at the age of 6. To be frank, at that age, I just used to disassemble the cube and then reassemble it (saying the guy who is doing 5-style 18 years later).

No idea how these Chinese kids get pushed into this. Maybe parental pressure. Lots of parental pressure I guess.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think a lot of people forget just how much easier it is for younger kids to get into cubing.
Hardware has trended downwards in size, which is better for smaller hands, and has gotten better and cheaper than cubes of the past.
Resources on getting faster are much higher quality and more widespread as well. Documentation is better and more accessible, and algs have been improved upon and refined over the years.
None of this is to take away from how incredible it is for kids so young to be performing well, but I thought I would point this out since not a lot of people also mention these factors. I personally would loved to have all the hardware and resources we have now when I was a little kid lol.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah when I started the only algsets I knew about were from MMAP videos and Thrawst advice. Also the wiki. Now we have a much larger community and much better cubes.

ZB2op

Can we appreciate that Yiheng Wang's best average in comp is better than Jayden McNeill's.
let's see. Right now, about ~25 moves is the best elite FMC solvers can do consistently. And the fastest possible TPS is probably around 16 in an actual speedsolve, but with such an efficient method, the TPS limit goes down hard. That is totally ridiculous and easily debunked.
15 or so years ago sub 7 would have been a ridiculous thought but now its a thing so...

Last edited:

DNF_Cuber

15 or so years ago sub 7 would have been a ridiculous thought but now its a thing so...
But sub 2 is well beyond the mathematical limits of human capability. Back then, cubing was very new and the hardware and methods were somewhat undeveloped. It's not that we won't improve anymore, it's just that sub 2 is thinking way too big.

ZB2op

But sub 2 is well beyond the mathematical limits of human capability. Back then, cubing was very new and the hardware and methods were somewhat undeveloped. It's not that we won't improve anymore, it's just that sub 2 is thinking way too big.
I think at home low two singles are possible.

scrubizilla

YouTube
Visit Channel
Did you guys see this? This puts Ruihang Xu at 4th place avg globally! Just shy of the sub-6 club.

The 4.45 single is 7th gobal

Its crazy that these kids are getting monkeyleague level averages, and they still have many years of potential cubing ahead of them, this could be the future of competitive cubing and wrs, Like you said in the first post, THE RISE OF CHINESE CUBERS

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Chinese cubers are insanely dedicated ngl.
What is interesting to me is that of the two very young cubers I showed, Yiheng Wang and Ruihang Xu, I'll throw in Zaiyang Zhang (张在旸) too with obligatory Brody video
is that while they have decent efficiency, none of them use very complicated algsets or theory and achieve their amazing results just with lookahead and pure execution. I can't generalize that to Chinese cubers as a whole, because we know there are cubers who do have amazing knowledge of algs like Ruimin Yan / CubeRoot, but that's what I saw from these people.

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
These guys(and Max Park ofc) prove that you don't need any complicated stuff to be world class. Only the fundamentals(lookahead, fingertricks, execution etc.) need to be good. This proves that just about anyone can be sub 8(ofc if they have the willpower and sheer determination to do marathon-like practice).

E: kudos to @Ruimin_YAN for that amazing website and for bringing these awesome guys to the limelight.

E2: Max doesn't even have good fingertricks lol but his lookahead is insane.

ZB2op

In the top 30 the USA has the most people 3x3 average and then china has the second most.