• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Ribbon Method

OreKehStrah

OreKehstrah teach me free slotting cause I use O cls case where it looks like a ttll case
If you search free slotting on the forum you can probably find my post about it. The basic idea is you make one of your F2L pairs with either the correct corner or any of the four last layer corners, based on what is easiest/fastest. If you use a last layer corner, make sure that you treat the last layer sticker of that corner as you would a cross color sticker on a normal corner so that you can then just do a normal OLL alg and then go into TTLL or PLL.

ribbon method

For ribbon method should I do tols or tsle. I have been thinking about this, plz help, i need help with learning ribbon method

ribbon method

tols got more algs tols has 173 tsle has 102

but ig I will do the most efficient

which one be more efficient

Last edited by a moderator:

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Please stop posting new threads so much. There is one complete ribbon spreadsheet. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D26FLNRhHs5RBXswyfjaKzL_5bboleo6YxYKq3osYGQ/edit
Also this doc: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzm7fHMKOwCBb201b29RaUlHYms/view
Now go, learn the algs and practice. You can find everything else you need online and you can develop your own techniques to help. There's also freeslotting and other ideas that can be used.

Now you have all the info you need, take it and learn the Ribbon method.

LBr

Hi everyone. I am setting up this thread to talk about the ribbon method, which was proposed by Justin Taylor. The link will tell you about the method and the steps. https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Ribbon_Method. I think that this method should be the method that all of the top speedcubers use, as it saves an f2l pair and is in general more efficient than CFOP, while still having a CFOP based background and utilising all the Olls and PLLs that we already know. Justin himself has an algsheet which you can download from the speedsolving wiki page, so that you can experiment with the algs.

I would like to know your thoughts as to why you think that this method isn't more popular. I think that this is partly because it was proposed relatively recently in 2017, so it has had less time to grow, but there must be something else, mustn't there...

OreKehStrah

Hi everyone. I am setting up this thread to talk about the ribbon method, which was proposed by Justin Taylor. The link will tell you about the method and the steps. https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Ribbon_Method. I think that this method should be the method that all of the top speedcubers use, as it saves an f2l pair and is in general more efficient than CFOP, while still having a CFOP based background and utilising all the Olls and PLLs that we already know. Justin himself has an algsheet which you can download from the speedsolving wiki page, so that you can experiment with the algs.

I would like to know your thoughts as to why you think that this method isn't more popular. I think that this is partly because it was proposed relatively recently in 2017, so it has had less time to grow, but there must be something else, mustn't there...
As someone genning and learning algs for TTLL, I can say for a fact that one of the main reasons people don’t want to learn Ribbon is that not only do you need to learn new algs, but you also will have to replace them if better algs come out. TTLL is in a terrible state since not much time was put into it. The group of people I’ve been genning algs with revamped all the double bar algs, and they are still no where close to the niceness of PLLs, with only one being-sub1 with basically perfect execution. I haven’t even looked at the TOLS algs yet.

OreKehStrah

Another thing to note is that twisted corner TTLLs are being genned now so instead of learning TOLS, you can just make sure the ribbon slot has a LL corner in the slot without worrying about orientation, do a normal OLL to orient all the pieces without paying attention to the orientation of the F2L corner, then do TTLL/TTLL+/- or PLL if the F2L corner happened to be solved.