• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Naming of Last Steps

kelseymckenna

WCA
2012MCKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey there! I looked around for a thread on this and I couldn't find anything.

I had a quick idea of naming last layer algorithm combinations. I use fridrich and yesterday I got the last layer - FRUR'U'F' and then T permutation. And I thought to myself, "It would be cool if there was a name for that!"

This is just a simple idea to name some combinations for ANY puzzle and ANY method.
So the last layer I described could be called, "XYZ". In Roux, a really quick orientation + M slice combination could have some other name that would be unique to that method etc.

This is just an idea to have a bit of fun with, maybe an last layer could be named after you! :)

Please understand that I am not implying that this will somehow make description of last layers any easier or anything like that; it's just something to do for fun on the forum, or maybe even just have names for last layers/steps for yourself! :D

Thanks!
Kelsey.

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have actually been working on thinking of names(Roux). Cause 5BLD and myself sometimes do SkypeTeamBLD, so we need codes for LSE, because its a huge hassel to have to say <M,U> like 20 times. Maybe you could help us out?

kelseymckenna

WCA
2012MCKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey! I actually use Fridrich at the moment but I'm going to try and switch to Roux after a competition in February, so I probably wouldn't be able to think of great names for LSE but maybe I could try and get a few for Fridrich and then a few for Roux :D

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey! I actually use Fridrich at the moment but I'm going to try and switch to Roux after a competition in February, so I probably wouldn't be able to think of great names for LSE but maybe I could try and get a few for Fridrich and then a few for Roux :D

I'll help you out! We can make like a great big chart or something, with all the OLL's and well, The PLL's are straight forward, except for G's. Then later on we can work on Roux. :)

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As pandacuber said, we do quite a lot of tbld.
Some are pretty obvious, "moo" meaning the 4 flip M'UM' case, to stuff like "uhh" for pairing into the back right slot (this isnt really last layer but it's still the name of the case).

Us roux users have lots of names for different cases, although there's not a written list, one knows exactly what case the other is talking about although there's no specific naming. E.g. "shitsune", "diagonal Pi", "2genT"

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
"moo" meaning the 4 flip M'UM' case, to stuff like "uhh" for pairing into the back right slot (this isnt really last layer but it's still the name of the case).

No we cant use that !! LOL , It will throw me off. Cause Uhh sounds like Umm. Ex: R2 U L uhh M' . That uhh is like a hesitation .

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'll get something worked up and then we'll maybe take suggestions + votes for different things :D

What 5BLD and I had done was, he made a Google Doc and post it publicly(or something, not sure since he made it), well the point was so I could go and add my opinion and he could see it online aswell. I forgot the link though :/
You should look into it.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah!

Even better, let's start a service where we sell people cube positions to be named after them. We can even give them certificates if they want to name a position after their loved one! 43 quintillion is quite a lot, so we'd practically never run out.

aronpm

Us roux users have lots of names for different cases, although there's not a written list, one knows exactly what case the other is talking about although there's no specific naming. E.g. "shitsune", "diagonal Pi", "2genT"

Yes, there is a written list of case names. I can't load Gilles' site so here is Kir's CMLLs, with the correct name scheme.

Last edited:

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I should like, update that list with my new algs.

As for the CMLL naming scheme, it's pretty easy to describe any case without having a standard system for it.

aronpm

thanks..but they dont have names...
These are names:

A2 A6
B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6
C1 C2 C3 C4 C5 C6
D1 D2 D3 D4 D5 D6
E1 E2 E3 E4 E5 E6
F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 F6
G1 G2 G3 G4 G5 G6
H1 H2 H3 H6

They're actually more useful than "shitsune" because if you know what the letter means (CO case) and what the number means (swap) you know what case it is. The name actually means something, because it's composed of encoded information.

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
They're actually more useful than "shitsune" because if you know what the letter means (CO case) and what the number means (swap) you know what case it is. The name actually means something, because it's composed of encoded information.

Okay so for OLL, you can name them:

1-20 No edges oriented.
21-27 Edges oriented
Then you have P shapes
W shapes
Etc.
But you still have to know exactly every single case and your partner needs to know to the same alg, cause each alg could affect corners differently, or in CMLL, could effect EO differently with each alg.